Sunday, April 18, 2010

SMS: Sweet Potato Bread with Cinnamon-Orange-Rum Glaze

To be perfectly honest, I feel a little bad about being this week's host since I haven't been a participant is sooooo long. So, thank you for letting me host anyway. This week's recipe is Sweet Potato Bread with Cinnamon-Rum-Orange Glaze (recipe after my ramblings below). I chose this recipe because it doesn't have any dairy in it!! Who-hooo! I can eat it. The recipe is so simple, so quick, and SO DELICIOUS. I strongly encourage all to try. May be more of a fall or winter bread, but if you like these flavors, who's to say you can't enjoy it year round. Check out how all the wonderful and talented SMS bakers did this week here.

So, in order to explain (notice I didn't say excuse) my absence from baking and blogging (yes, not just a lazy blogger), here goes: I'M PREGNANT!!! It will be our first, and we are so darn excited. I am due October 6th. This is something I have wanted for a while now, waiting for everything to line up. So, world's greatest husband - check, good job - check, house - check, baby - soon! Horay!!!! I was not expecting the fatigue that comes with the first trimester, oh wow. I used to be able to work my demanding lawyer job, then come home and bake and blog. Now for the last few months, it was barely get myself to work, barely make it through the day (a shortened one at that), barely make it home, then fall on the couch and not get up except for the bathroom or bed. Rinse and repeat. I did NOTHING other than that for a few months, not lying. So, no baking, no blogging. Thankfully, I have my energy back. Work picked up in a major way - I have worked long full days every day since Easter Sunday, but that should get back to a more manageable pace after tomorrow, and then I can't wait to see what all my long lost baking friends have been up to and get myself back in the kitchen!




For the Bread

Two 15-ounce cans sweet potatoes, drained
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 kosher salt
2/3 cups pecans, coarsely chopped

For the Cinnamon-Rum-Orange Glaze

1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup rum
2 cinnamon sticks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 10-cup bundt pan.

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on low speed mash the sweet potatoes until smooth (this will make about 2 cups). Add the sugar and oil and mix to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.


2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Add the flour mixture into the sweet potato mixture in three batches, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Do no overmix. Stir in the pecans.

3. Pour the batted into the prepared bundt pan. Spin the pan to level the bater. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire wrack to cool for 20 minutes before inverting onto the rack for glazing.

4. For the glaze. Combine the orange juice, rum, sugar, and cinnamon sticks in a small nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and reduce by half. REmove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly before glazing.

5. Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze generously over the still-warm bread. Wait for 10 minutes, and glaze again.

36 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!!

    I'm sure that everyone understands that sometimes we just need time for ourselves.

    Thanks for hosting this week. I loved that you chose something that you could eat. I made it for the SF food bloggers Bake Sale! Your's looks awesome and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have to say that this is the best "I took a blogging break" excuse ever! Glad to see you're back though and with such a gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! I missed this week because my Trader Joe's didn't have canned sweet potatoes and I have a cold. Yours looks so good I'm going have to make it up later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I am sooo happy for you..CONGRATS!! Im sure you and your husband are super excited! No worries on the break from blogging. You have an excellent excuse! I slept all most entire three pregnancies! Get lots of rest and enjoy!
    Your cake looks amazing..so shiny and Im sure very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS! this cake looks so good! have to try it I ve never tried sweet potatoes so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What amazing news - I'm sure you guys are super excited :)

    Thanks for hosting this week! I made minis and they were really tasty. Your bundt looks wonderful, I love how shiny it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Thanks for hosting, and suggesting this recipe. i never would have tried it otherwise, and I thought it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread looks scrumpdelicious. The glaze makes it particularly eye appealing. I'm regretting giving all my loaves away as I'm salivating looking at yours.

    Congratulations on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! That is great news.

    The bread looks wonderful and thank you for hosting this week with everything going on right now in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the baby! Thanks for hosting this week - the bread was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see you back and with such FABULOUS news! Congratulations!! I wish you nothing but happiness and the best of everything!! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, yay for you being pregnant (but not the sick and tired part). Nice to see you posting again. The sweet potato cake sounds de-lish. In one of the cooking classes I took a few months ago, she did a sweet potato/chocolate marble cake. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice! Thanks for hosting!

    www.indecisivebaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!! Congratulations!! Such a beautiful bundt and such wonderful news!! -mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Your cake looks just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! I thought this bread was really yummy. Even though it seemed like a fallish recipe, I love the flavors, so I thought it was fun to have an excuse to bake with them in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. big time congrats!
    so exciting and the pregnancy will get a little easier (before it gets hard again ;)
    btw, cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, momma!

    Thanks for hosting this week. This cake was fantastic. Glad you got to enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your exciting news! I hear ya on the weariness that comes with the first trimester. Your body is working super hard and that leaves little left over for frivolous stuff like work, laundry, getting dinner on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Lorelei!!! That is wonderful news. I'm very happy for the both of you.

    Thanks for hosting this week. This was another SMS winner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Big congrats on the new baby!!! Wishing you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy. Thanks for picking such a great recipe this week, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to read an update from you. This cake looks so moist and delicious. Even better that you got to eat it :-)

    Congrats on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! That's such exciting news. Wishing you all the best and hope the rest of the pregnancy is a touch less exhausting!

    Thanks for the pick - loved it! R x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats! That is great news!! And I love the looks of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First...congrats to you & hubby on the news!

    The cake looks great! I will be baking this when I get a chance.

    I've been busy with a fundraiser bake sale and haven't been around baking the last few weeks. But, will restart in May.

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found your blog when searching for a recipe. I am was really excited to see that you are a lawyer - I am in the middle of law school right now and have been reconsidering going through with it because so many lawyers seem stressed and overworked. You seem to have such a wonderful life outside of work, and passions outside of the law. Thank-you!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on the soon to be bundle of joy. I'm so excited for you! My BD is Oct 8th os of course I'm rooting for that day for your baby to come! :)
    This cake looks perfect to me. I love sweet potato (or pumpkin) and think I must try this recipe. Thanks and congtrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations to you and your husband Loreli :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. First, congratulations!! I hope you have an easy pregnancy and as they say here in Spain "una horita corta" at the moment of birth which means that may your labour be short and happy. I found your blog through Megan´s kitchen and would like to subscribe to yours but, how and also there is no print button for your recipe. Is that in the cards for the future?? Beautiful cake and I hope to make it soon although with fresh sweet potatoes as here they are not available in cans... thanks and again good luck

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations, I know your baby is with you now. By the way, your cake looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Deliciously sinful I could smell cinnamon's aroma up here. Congratulations to your first baby! I do hope you well and wish you best of luck for a new recruit in motherhood. XO

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! I'm from Philippines! I just started blogging about food. Please follow me and I'll follow you too! :)
    http://eaternalfeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG this looks and sounds heavenly. I am trying this recipe tomorrow!!! I love your blog. I have a new blog Dial M For Mermaid. Also, Vintage Mermaid Society. Would love for you to join one or both. I appreciate other mermaids' input! Have a wonderful day. You have more recipes I need to go through:)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This looks lovely! I love mermaids so your blog really interests me!
    If you have the time check out my Youtube channel, It's called Mermaid Peronella, this is my most recent video on how to paint a Mermaid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-F8J2aPncM

    Keep up the beautiful recipes! Love them!

    ReplyDelete