Sunday, January 17, 2010

Where have you been?

OK, OK, it has been waaaaay to long. I know. Life has been filled to the brim, with both highs and lows. Since several of my awesome blogger friends have left comments wondering what's up, here's a brief recap on what's kept me away: From late October to mid-December we hosted hubby's (Mathias) mother and her boyfriend for two weeks, Mathias' pseudo Nicaraguan Mom for a week, Mathias' brother for two weeks, Mathias' father, grandmother and stepmom for Thanksgiving weekend, Mathias' best friend for a week, Mathias' friend and longtime volunteer for his non profit for two weeks, and my sister for 4 days. I calculated it, we had 10 days total with no guests in our house during that time.

In addition, Mathias' awesome non-profit, blueEnergy, had two big events which I was volunteering and baking for. A trivia night, where I made 10 doz cupcakes for the event and the grand prize was a gift certificate for 2 doz cupcakes for each winner on a team (5 pp team = 10 doz cupcakes). These were all cashed in! Then a Taste of Nicaragua fundraiser - where I did a lot of work soliciting donations, and then made the dessert bar which had Tres Leche cake, La Lechera balls, coconut rum cupcakes, banana caramel cupcakes, Mexican chocolate cupcakes and fresh mango mini cheesecakes.

Then we threw a housewarming holiday party, with a dessert bar of course. I also made all of the food myself, mini empanadas, mini pork buns, phyllo triangles with sauteed mushrooms, many dips, shrimp, lamb and vegie kabobs, cheese crustini with carmelized bacon, etc. For dessert I made mini pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, mini chocolate mint cupcakes, chai blondies, s'more bars and rice crispy treats with chocolate and peanut butter fudge. Not a one picture of the food, can you believe it? We also went to three other X-mas parties, and hosted another improptu holiday dinner party for 10.


Then, sadly, my mother fell very ill and was hospitalized. That left us driving home on Christmas day and then spending 11 days with her in the hospital. She has pneumonia, which is not better unfortunately, and had to have surgery (on New Year's Eve) to remove her gallbladder and appendix. She is out of the hospital, but still recovering from surgery and still fighting pneumonia. I am headed back home on Thursday to support my family. It has been rough. Since she was in the hospital in Pasadena, CA, we did get to go to the Rose Bowl game. Unfortunately, the Ducks didn't win.


So, on top of all of that, I am a corporate attorney and that keeps me plenty busy. And, to top it all off, right after we came home from LA, I threw my back out and can't move around too well. Unfortunately, standing and cooking/baking hurts a fair amount. So, that's why I have been MIA. It has just felt too overwhelming to try and catch-up in the blog world and get around to everyone's blog to say hi and I was a bad blogger so didn't really take pictures of my baking these past few months. But, it is a new year, and I am hoping for a fresh start, as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your concern, especially Cassie of How to Eat a Cupcake, Elyse of Belle of the Bakery, Michelle of Flourchild, and Monica of Lick the Bowl Good. It is nice to feel missed.

And of course, my sincerest apologies to the SMS bakers for being MIA, and for Karen of Karen's Cookies Cakes and More for taking over my hosting duties. I am coming back and about to start making the Lemon pound cake right after I hit post!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, Lorelai, you've had quite a busy time of it lately. My thoughts and prayers are with your mom and your family, and I hope she recovers quickly. We miss you around the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! So sorry to hear about your mom - glad she's out of the hospital and recovering. Hope it's speedy! Happy that you're back, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is definitely enough to keep anyone from blogging. Glad you're back and can't wait to see your lemon pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to know you're still "around". Hope your mom gets better soon! While I miss many bloggers when they disappear like this, I'm always just so happy to get what we can get! Hope life slows a little for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear! Wow... you've been busy and have had a lot of drama! You take care of yourself.

    Yes, I got your lovely package. I, too, have been so busy that I keep forgetting to THANK YOU!!! 1. I LOVE MAGNETS!!! 2. Blue is my favorite color. You're a doll!!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so so sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she's on the mend soon and that your back feels better as well!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she feels better soon.

    Glad you're back! I look forward to seeing your pound cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness girl you have had a ton on your plate..no apologies needed. Im so sorry your mom was sick and in the hospital. Woah not only did you just buy that beautiful new home you have had guests galore! Im sorry to hear about our back too..you need someone to tuck you in bed and bring you some homemade chicken soup..If I lived closer I would be that friend!! Hang in there and just bake when you can..no worries..we just miss you when your gone!
    Happy New year..may 2010 bring you much happiness and health!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to know that you're back! Hope you and your mom get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you've been one busy lady. All the food sounds wonderful and I can picture it and almost taste it so no need for photos.

    I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I've had pneumonia before and though it was mild it was absolutley no fun. She looks pretty stylin' in that bed though.

    I hope your back feels better soon. Take care and know you're always missed when you're not around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a pleasure hearing from you on A Chica Bakes and I'm so glad that after a busy few months you are back :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh what a busy bee u have been....

    just wondering how i get one of those cupcake coupons? :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, Lorelai!! Sorry to hear about your mom. I wish her a speedy recovery!! And you too. Take care of yourself, ok? Looking forward to your pound cake post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, Lorelei, I know it's been super rough and busy--if you ever need to get away, cross the street and come over. You can put your feet up over at my place any time!! Remember to let me know if you need anything. Wish your mom well for me this weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete