Monday, January 18, 2010

SMS: Amazing Lemon Poppyseed Pound Cake


Man, what a recipe to come back to. This weeks SMS recipe was Lemon Walnut Pound Cake chosen by Raeann of Basically, Baby Boots. The recipe can be found on her blog. I was excited to make this cake given all the rave reviews it received from the other SMS bloggers. Man, this one is a keeper.


I didn't want to do the nuts thing, and after seeing Cassie's Lemon Poppyseed Cake, I knew I wanted to sub in poppyseeds. I knew I made the right decision when hubby started cheering at the thought of a lemon poppyseed cake. I also substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream and lactose free margarine for the butter. And still, the cake turned out AMAZING. So moist and light and fluffy, which is a miracle since I noticed about 40 minutes into my alleged cooking time that my digital oven had turned itself off, leaving me to guess at how long it had actually been cooking and how long it had to go! My dinner guests and hubby and myself all agreed that the baking fairy must have laced it with crack, we just couldn't stop eating it.

19 comments:

  1. Glad your first recipe back was such a hit!! I really enjoyed this one too. I just stuck quite a bit in my freezer to pull out another day for a treat :) Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list and I may just do what you did and use poppy seeds. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great recipe to come back with! glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks wonderfully moist and tender. delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to the blogging world! this looks like a great recipe and I Love Lemons with Poppy seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! This is such a great recipe to come back to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Nice to see you back and with such a delicious treat. It looks wonderfully flavorful and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for poppyseeds AND greek yogurt!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks totally delicious! I do love myself some lemon poppy. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine fails her drug test because of the poppy seeds. So glad you made the cake so that you could eat it, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon poppy seed is a flavor combo I keep meaning to try.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great. I don't think I have ever tried lemon poppy seed. Might have to now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy,............i remember my birthday sweets , it looks like same like urs , awesome dish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back Lorelei! Your lemon pound cake looks delicious! Something went horribly wrong with mine, but seeing everyone else's great results might convince me to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum your cake looks so good. It's so nice to see you ..and your baked goods:) again!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks great. Lemon and poppyseeds. Heavenly combination. Look forward to seeing you in the SMS Group.
    Carmen

    Hope your mom is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it really looks delicious, so moist and juicy, well done, cheers from london

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl I had to come and harass you again..I miss you..where are you!?? I hope all is well with you and your family. I just wanted you to know your missed!

    ReplyDelete