Sunday, November 8, 2009

SMS: Cranberry Pear Muffins with Ginger Crumble Topping

I am back! Yay, after spending most of the day cleaning my new house (boo) I finally got to bake in it! Yippee. I am so happy to be back with SMS, I baked with a big grin on my face the whole time. This week's recipe is Cranberry Pear Muffins with Ginger Crumble Topping chosen by Jennifer of Maple N'Cornbread. Old habits are hard to break, so even though I thought I could use this fresh start to do things a little ahead of time, no dice, and so the muffins are still warm, no tasters yet, and bad lighting. Oh well. They sure smell delicious. And, I ended up making 24, since I didn't read the recipe carefully and didn't realize that it called for a 1/2 batch of the crumble (also true to form) and so instead of waste the extra crumble, I just made another batch since I had left over of everything else as well.


My Mother-in-Law (who is AWESOME) and her boyfriend and her good friend are in town and have been here for almost two weeks. It's been great to have them (she and her BF are French) so we've been treated to some amazing French home cooking and house improvements (Maurice is a Jack of All Trades, a wonder really). I hope they like these American treats. They are very strict about having breakfast every morning with coffee sitting down at the table - so weird! I suspect these will fit the bill. I'll let you know - I made one batch dairy free with soy creamer and soy milk and dairy free margarine so I could try them, as I love cranberry muffins.

Check out the other SMS'rs too, their muffins look great!

27 comments:

  1. Anything with a crumble topping is good in my books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for baking with me this week! I hope these muffins win your family over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ginger crumble topping sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum these sound delish! love that crumb topping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Your muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your muffins look so good and Im sure it was nice baking agian. It's great to have you back with us..we missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are getting the chance to settle in to your house! Your muffins look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are pretty!. i like the little hint of red in them.

    I've heard you can freesze the crumble/streusel topping, though I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are back! I hope all is well and life is calming down a bit:) The muffins look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! This was a great one to come back with, they were so good. I hope you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I'll echo Margot's comment - it was definitely a great week to rejoin us as these muffins were delicious! The crumble topping especially was dangerously good. Hope you enjoy one of the dairy free muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one word for you YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your muffins look great! I loved these...made two batches myself. One on Saturday and one yesterday. Mmmmm, muffins~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! I hope you are all settled and moved in to your new house. You must be loving the space.

    Your muffins look great!

    We'll have to get together again when I'm in Bay Area again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on settling into your new house! We loved these muffins, though I couldn't really taste the pear in them. Hope your in-laws enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh they look great!! let me know how your dairy free version comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back! And congrats on the new house! We almost bought a house this month, but decided our current house is just fine and will certainly do for a few more years. Anyway, what kind of dairy-free margarine do you use? I have to bake something for a vegan friend and am planning on using Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. Do you know if those will work???

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad they have a crumb topping, I have this thing about naked muffin tops! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the flavors that are in this muffin. What a great way to break in a new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. MMMM, those muffins look delicious. I'm definitely going to have to go back and make them. So glad you're back to blogging. You were greatly missed--you were also missed in general. We need to get together soon and have lots of wine and dessert. Time for catching up!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look super delish. And congrats on the new house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those muffins look great! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just discovered your blog today - and I was excited to see your comment on the side about baking blind. I have a bunch of food allergies, and so I do the same thing, but most people think it's very odd that I still enjoy cooking food that I can't eat, so I found it interesting to discover that I'm not the only one who does that.

    ReplyDelete
  24. that crumble sounds awesome! instead of making up another batch of muffins, i probably would've just eaten it with a spoon. :) good for you for not letting it go to waste though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you're doing okay. Miss yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yo lady! 2 months, no post? I hope everything is well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Where are you..we miss you around SMS..come back to us!!

    ReplyDelete