Saturday, August 8, 2009

Coconut Chai Blondies


I am proud of these babies. Not a recipe from one of my baking groups, not a copycat post from one of my favorite bloggers, not from a cookbook (well not entirely). Nope my rare attempt at creativity. And it worked! I have this great tea that I got from Cost Plus that is coconut chai tea. It is super yummy. After making the amazing Chai Cake with the Cake Slice Bakers, I was inspired to make more chai treats - I love chai. So, I thought I would try to make a coconut chai bar cookie/blondie. Boy am I glad I did, these are amazing.

I started, where else, with my favorite baking book - From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan, and her Chewy Chunky Blondies Recipe and then added chai spices, coconut, macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips. This is really a great combo. My co-workers gobbled these up. They were actually meant for my dear Berkeley college friends for movie night on Thursday, but I got stuck at work and didn't leave until around mid-night, so at that point I was too tired to deliver these goods, so work was in for a treat on Friday. One of my co-workers actually yelped pretty loud when he saw them, had two and raved about them. How about that for some positive work feedback? And Bartlet street - these are coming your way soon, I promise.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

Coconut Chai Blondies

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter or dairy free margarine (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cups (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped macademia nuts
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven the 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and put it on a baking sheet (you can also line the pan with foil and spray the foil, this helps to remove the blondies when done)

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars and beat for another 3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Add the eggs one by one, beating for one minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until they disappear into the batter. Using a rubber spatula stir in the white chocolate chips, macademia nuts and coconut. Scrape the batter into the buttered pan and use the spatula to even the top as best you can.

Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a knife instered into the center fo the blondies comes out clean. The blondies should pull away from the sides of the pan a little and the top should be a nice honey brown. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for about 15 minutes before turning the blondies out onto another rack. Inver onto a rack and cool the blondies to room temperature right side up.


17 comments:

  1. Oh YUM!!!!! I love chai anything and this blondie form with coconut sounds and looks amazing! Way to go on the own creation, dont you love that?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fantastic!! Blondies are so delicious. Kudos for coming up with your own creation! I always, always follow recipes for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sounds really good! I have a recent love of all things blondie related. I have never made anything "chai", but I really love the tea ;) I can only imagine these are ridiculously good and I can imagine one warm over ice cream...yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! I baked up a storm today..so nice on a cool day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing...I love chai! VERY creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look incredible. I love the chunkiness of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you!! How creative.. they sound fabulous and such a delicious combination of ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm... I have been on a real blondie kick recently - they are so satisfying when you want something dense like a brownie but aren't in the mood for something so intense. The chai flavoring sounds delicious, and they look amazing! I love all of the chunks in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brownies look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, these sounds terrific! I love blondies and have been wanting to try Chai myself! Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are surely a must try. Nice flavour combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. bookmarked and congrats on taking leaping to authoring your own recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love chai and these sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. I've got to try these. They sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great combination of recipes! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete