Monday, August 10, 2009

Baby Shower Treats

So, a good friend of mine from my beloved school Berkeley is having a baby in September! So excited for a new golden baby bear. Her shower was last weekend, and I volunteered - ok practically begged - to make cute baby shower treats. I was just dying to use my onsie cookie cutter.

Luckilly for me, she took me up on the offer. I decided to make decorated sugar cookies as favors and cupcakes for the shower itself. The mother-to-be doesn't like chocolate, and until my recent discovery of my love of chocolate - we bonded in our non-chocolate freakiness. So chocolate cupcakes were out. I decided on two well-loved staples - strawberry (see below) and triple lemon. Although, this time, I did a little twist to my favorite strawberry cupcake recipe.

Taking inspiration from the amazing Strawberry Ruby Grapefruit Preserves we made for SMS, I decided to make Strawberry Grapefruit cupcakes by added the zest of 1/2 a grapefruit to the batter, and about 1 tsp of grapefruit zest to the strawberries in my mini-prep food processor when making the strawberry puree for the buttercream frosting. I couldn't taste these, but they were well loved. And they smelled great.


And, then I made onsie sugar cookies in pale yellow and green because they are going the suprise gender route - which I could never do. Kudos to them. My sweet hubby helped me with filling the cookies with the flood icing. Sooo sweet. I really liked how they turned out. I really like making decorated sugar cookies, but oh, they really are a lot of work.



Strawberry Grapefruit Cupcakes

adapted from Cooking with Amy

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 large egg
6 ounces strawberry yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
grated zest of 1/2 grapefruit

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. With an electric hand mixer, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg, yogurt and vanilla, and grapefruit zest, blending until smooth.

2. Measure the dry ingredients into the bowl and blend, then fold in the strawberries.

3. Divide the mixture equally between the 12 paper-lined cupcake cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.

4. Beat together butter, powdered sugar, and mashed strawberry in medium-size bowl until creamy and smooth. Chill frosting for 15 minutes or until thick. Frost cupcakes with a spatula.Yield: 12 servings

Sprinkles Strawberry Frosting

2 sticks (½ lb) unsalted butter, firm but not cold
1/8 tsp kosher salt
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp pureed fresh strawberries
1 tsp grated zest of a grapefruit

Put strawberries and grapefruit zest in a food processor and blend until you have a puree

Beat butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffyReduce speed and gradually add confectioner's sugar and beat until incorporatedAdd vanilla and strawberry puree and mix until blended. Do not overmix, or the frosting will incorporate too much air. The consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice-cream.

22 comments:

  1. Berkeley FTW!
    These baby shower cookies and cupcakes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies are so cute - you and your hubby did such a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness everything is just precious!!! And those cookies are over the top cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those little onsie cookies are just adorable! Sugar cookies are so much work -- it was so nice of you to volunteer to make them. The strawberry grapefruit cupcakes sound so amazingly good! I loved the preserves, so the cupcakes must be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pink cupcakes, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The onesie cookies are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cookies and cupcakes are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cookies are so cute and the cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cupcakes and cookies are adorable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cupcakes sound and look good but darn it's the cookies that steal the show. They are so CUTE! I loved when my twins laid about the house in theirs, so sweet! Yeah, I'm with you on the gender thing. It was a big enough surprise being told I was having two babies at the same time.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice! those cupcakes are so cute and the cookies adorable! Can you suggest a good sugar cookie recipe ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a girl at work who is pregnant and I am SO excited to make her baby shower cupcakes later in September! I love what you did colours, and the toppers are just so darn cute!
    The sugar cookies look absolutely perfect, and I would love to know what recipe you used for the cookie and the icing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cupcakes look terrific and those onesies are the cutest things ever! I love them. Decorated sugar cookies are gorgeous, but like you said, SO much work! I rarely have the motivation. Kudos to you for providing such wonderful treats for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the treats are absolutely beautiful, especially the cookies; I admire your patience decorating them (nice that you had a helper)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are just the cutest cookies and cupcakes. Are you available to make sweet treats for my baby shower (when the time comes)? Say yes!

    You are too kind. BTW, where does one get a onesie cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh - they are adorable! Where did you get the cute little duckie cupcake toppers and the onesie cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How amazingly wonderful terrific awesome and fun! can you tell how much I like everything? I hope so. Really these are all so adorable and special!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. I am so impressed. The cupcakes looked darling, and the cookies looked amazing. You have such skills girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks so wonderful and those cookies are just the best!! I can definitely see all of the hard work you put into them. So sweet of your DH to help you! Best of luck to your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow im sooo impressed with all of the cupcakes & cookies. that is really time consuming but they look sooo pretty & personal. love them.

    ReplyDelete