Sunday, July 19, 2009

SMS: Whole Orange Poppyseed Cake


Man o man, it's been a long time since I have had the time to pay attention to this blog of mine. I am sorry that I have neglected my beloved blog, but mostly sorry that I have also neglected to visit and comment on my blogging friend's sites. I will be making the rounds this week to catch up and see what you baking geniuses have been up to. July started off with and AMAZING vacation and I returned last Monday night to a whole host of work stuff and other commitments, so just now getting back to my normal hectic life!

So, short and sweet. This weeks SMS recipe is whole orange poppyseed cake chosen by Melissa of Lulu the Baker. You can get the recipe HERE. I just made this cake (its 11:30PM on Sunday night) so its still sitting on the table and I don't have any tasting notes as a result. But...sounds like my fellow SMS bakers really liked this cake. What I can tell you is that it was SUPER easy to make - most of the time is baking/waiting time, and it smells fantastic. As the name explains, this cake uses an entire whole orange - peel and rind and all. Wish I could taste it but I will live vicariously through others for now. I would like to try this without the poppyseeds and with dark chocolate chunks - what do you think?

Thanks Melissa for picking and hosting this week and thanks Karen from Karen's Cookies Cakes and More for helping me with admin stuff while I was traveling and thanks to all you faithful SMS bakers for your patience while I was out. I am back for a long while now. See you next Sunday.

16 comments:

  1. I drizzled chocolate over my version and it was delish, I'd love to try it with the orange now!

    Hope you had an amazing trip :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeeeeey. Great to have you back. Your cake look great. Wait until you taste it - it's amazing. Don't forget to check out my blog - I left yo an award there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!!! I cant believe you baked at 11:30 PM -- i'm snug as a bug!

    BTW, i too, left you an award -- which only means you have to accept and blog blog blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you have been gone a long time! Glad to have you back - and hope you enjoyed your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Glad you had a great vacation. Your cake looks terrific - I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks amazing! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum your cake looks so good! Welcome back to reality! It's so hard for me to come down after a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Lorelei. It hasn't been the same without you :o) I hope you had a GREAT vacation.

    Your cake looks great. Nice and shiny. I love your dark chocolate idea. I love citrus and chocolate together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed you, glad you're back!

    Dark chocolate in place of the orange? You bet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! I love chocolate and orange together, that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back to blog world - was wondering where you got to ;)

    Cake looks lovely as per usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where the heck have you been, lady? We miss you!

    And I love that poppyseed cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lorelei!

    So glad you're back and posting with SMS! We missed you. Your cake looks fabulous, and I hope you enjoyed it once you were able to taste. I love your idea of the chocolate chunks... I think that would compliment the orange flavor really well. Very creative too!

    Hope to hear from you/talk to you soon :)

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! Your cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A whole orange? Wow! That reminds me of that TWD recipe that calls for a whole lemon. Your cake looks fantastic - I hope you ended up enjoying the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. See how late I am getting around?
    Ooh, the orange cake with dark chocolate does sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete