Monday, July 20, 2009

A Cake Slice: Marbled Blueberry Lemon Butter Cake

So ... I managed to make this month's tripple layer cake for the Cake Slice group on-time this month and will have also posted on time- whoo hooo! This month's selection was Marbled Blueberry Lemon Cake which called for homemake blueberry preserves. It was fun to make - and a real crowd pleaser. And boy did we have a crowd. We headed back to the Delta to Mr. and Mr. Anderson's house for some more water play and great food. They loved the Pina Colada cake so I wanted to bring them something they would equally enjoy. Luckily, OE (their son) told me Mr. A loves blueberries - so this cake worked out perfectly. I was a hit and as you can see I barely got a chance to take a photo of a slice before it was all gone.

So, if you want to make this delicious cake, you should buy the awesome Sky High book, or you can check out a Printable Recipe graciously posted by marvelous Monica of Lick the Bowl Good

I also did a little holiday baking for the weekend. Since I had missed out on making decorated sugar cookies for both Valentine's day and Easter, I was determined to make some for 4th of July. So determined, that I stayed up until 3:00 AM to make these cookies (there were more, but my fatigue prevented me from taking a lot of photos) and more!

I also made more babka after LOVING the ones I made with my dear friend Elyse of Elyse's Confectionary Creations who I am probably not the only one who misses her dearly. This photo is actually one of the ones we made together - no photos of the two loaves I made for the 4th (it was late) but these ones were equally as good - delicious. I highly recommend you checking our Elyse's (our - I never got around to posting, boo) post on this delicious dessert challah .

And, finally, I also brought some of the Baked Monster Cookies I had made before. Why so much you ask? Well, we were invading the Anderson's with quite a crew - 13 of us to be exact - so I wanted to come with plenty of sweets for this motley crew. And every last crumb was eaten! That's always a baker's true delight.

And.... it was a special occasion (in addition to the federal holiday). It was my dear hubby's 31st birthday. And a very special friend from work gave me this FANTASTIC, AMAZING, 3 liter bottle of Ravenswood Zinfandel (hubby's fav) to celebrate the occasion. Thanks SO VERY much Rollin.

As you can see, hubby was quite pleased with his gift - as were the rest of us who shared in the many glasses this beloved vessel bestowed upon us this happy 4th of July.



The next morning, we had a nice birthday brunch at the waterside Rusty Porthole, which is "known" in the hood for its biscuits and gravy (picture below). It was a great start to our next adventure - we drove up to Klammath CA later that day for a 2 day white water rafting trip. Thanks again Mr. and Mrs. A and OE for the FABULOUS time on the island.


19 comments:

  1. Ooooh I NEED a copy of this Sky High cook book, everything everybody makes out of it looks SO good! Your cake is just gorgeous!
    The star cookies look great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks fab and wonderful marbeled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you did an awesome job baking so many things, where do you find all the time??

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to put everything on this post on my top 100 list of things to bake!

    which sugar cookie recipe did you follow?

    btw, i bookmarked the monster cookies under "oatmeal" in my recipe index but i wonder if they belong under PB? or m&m? or chocolate chip? Ha, ha.

    Great job all around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookies - awesome, babka - awesome, monster cookies - awesome, cake - awesome, AWESOME!! Seriously, that's a lot of baking and it all turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, what timing. I just posted a "what am I going to do with my blueberries" story and I click here and WOW. Now I know. Simply beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake is beautiful! And it looks like you had a really fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks amazing. I want a slice of that cake NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what you're talking about. Your cake turned out beautiful! I love all the blueberries on top. I would have added more but I ran out! Anyway, your cake looks delish!

    As does your babka and cookies (both bathches)! I'm glad to have you back and bakin'.

    Happy birthday to your hubs- that pic of him and his wine is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you've been super busy! I can't imagine how excited everyone was about all of the treats you brought! The cake is absolutely gorgeous!

    Happy Birthday to your hubs - great pics of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been a busy little bee, haven't you? Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks delicious! It looks like it was a fun/great birthday weekend for your husband. Love the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake looks so good! I've seen some great photos and read some delicious reviews. I miss Elyse! Hope she is doing well. And I hope your hubs had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! Your cake is just gorgeous! I'm so glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks terrific. I like how you "filled" the top with blueberries.

    Happy Belated B-day to your hubby!

    I DO miss Elyse. I hope she's well and its just everyday life getting in the way and nothing serious. I left her another comment a while ago checking up on her but never heard back.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post - it's good to have you back. Gorgeous cake - spectacular decorating. Happy beltaed birtday to your hubby, who looks very pleased with his gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! The cake looks delish. I'm not of fan of blueberry's but bake them into something and I can't hate them :). Looks like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cake looks divine. All of your baking looks de-lish! Looks like you're having a fun summer! Yeah, where is Elyse? Working? Hopefully we'll see her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh boy.. that cake looks phenomenal. But what really grabs my attention is that ravenswood zinfadel. Pass me the bottle please!!!

    ReplyDelete