Sunday, June 14, 2009

SMS: Chocolate Chip Cookies with Toasted Almonds

A special SMS post - this week the author of our group's chosen book baked along with us! That's right, Melissa Murphy of Sweet Melissa Patisserie in New York and author of The Sweet Melissa Baking Book baked her infamous chocolate chip cookies with toasted almonds with the group this week. And thanks to Elyse of Elyse's Confectionary Creations, Melissa's photos, post and the recipe are on the Sweet Melissa Sundays group site.


I can't thank Melissa enough for baking along with us and for Elyse for stepping in and posting Melissa's bake-along. I mean, its true, I called Elyse last night at 9:30 PM to tell her my friends decided to take the boat out and sleep on it, anchored amongst the reeds on the Delta. I knew that meant I wouldn't be able to get the post up first thing Sunday - no Internet on the "high seas," and that people would be looking for it so I asked Elyse to step in very last minute, and she was such a sweet willing champ - Elyse you rock! Also, thanks to Elyse, I am the proud owner of that cute little blue/green cake stand in the picture at top. I love it (I would collect cake stands if I had room) - and plan to use it often. Thanks so much (again) Elyse.

So, because these cookies are bestsellers at the Sweet Melissa Patisserie, and other SMS'ers posted their results this week with rave reviews, I decided to make these lactose free by substituting lactose free margarine for butter so I could try them. I doubled the batch so I could make one with the toasted almonds and one without. My cookies turned out very flat - and even though I baked them a little longer than the recommended 13 minutes, they tasted like cookie dough. Nothing wrong with this - Mathias said it was a perfect chocolate chip cookie for him - I think most of the time he'd rather just eat the cookie dough rather than a baked cookie. And, I know from sharing these cookies with co-workers and friends, there are other's like him out there!

I suspect after reading Melissa's post, that they weren't supposed to be quite this flat and cookie-dough like. I am not sure if it was because of the butter for margarine substitution, or because I hurried along the chilling time by using the freezer. Not sure. But doesn't really matter because people LOVED these cookies ALOT. And I thought they were fabulous. Granted I haven't had a chocolate chip cookie in years, but still, delicious. As you can see from the photo above, I used ALOT of Valharona semi-sweet chocolate and I think that helped contribute the chocolate goodness that these were. I tried both the ones with the nuts and without, and even though I LOVE nuts, I did actually prefer the ones without nuts. I definately will make these again with real butter to see how they turn out, as I know they will disappear quickly.
Finally, thanks to all the SMS bakers for your patience and understanding with this week's recipe. Sorry it was a little last minute getting it all pulled together.

29 comments:

  1. I think your cookies look great, Lorelei! At least they don't look like puddles; the flatness looks totally intentional! I wish Elyse lived near me so we could be friends and she could buy me beautiful cake stands! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cookies came out a bit flat, too but they were still delicious! Hope you had a good night on the boat! And thanks again for all you do with this group!
    P.S. Love that cake stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even flat, i think your cookies look really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way your cookies look - thin and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flat or fat your cookies look excellent! I love the picture of the cut up chocolate chunks, I could just dive right in!
    the cake stand is absolutley adorable! I love the color and the scalloped edges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THESE! I will be bookmarking them to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thin cookies ... I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flat or not, they were obviously a big hit.

    And how lucky were you to spend the night out on a boat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look delicious and it sounds like they were a hit! That is a lovely cakestand, what a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look yummy - I haven't made biscuits in ages! Might have to make something other than cupcakes soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you had fun on the boaty! Andmmm boy do those chocolate chunks look perfectly delicious in those cookies. Who cares if they're flat? They look delish to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually really like that your cookies are so thin. I have only had a chocolate chip cookie that thin once, but I really enjoyed it. p.s. Elyse is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look amazing- glad everyone loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE those huge chunks of chocolate... and that cake stand! :) Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad you didn't like how they looked. I wish mine were as thick as Melissa's too. The picture of the chopped chocolate got me craving chocolate now :o)
    Thanks again for setting this up with Melissa Murphy. I hope she can find time to stop by every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lorelei!

    For someone with lactose intolerance and a love of baking, you are SUCH an inspiration. Thank you for being daring and always willing to substitute appropriately in order to produce an equally delicious dairy-free treat. I really have to get my hands on some of that margarine because I'd really like to try these myself... my family thought they were great. I hope you have a chance to stop by my site and check out my cookies too. I hope to talk to you again after next weekend's recipe!

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cookies look absolutely delicious and the rufflely little cake stand....Adorable! So fun and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to rewind to the part where you get to sleep out on a boat on a Saturday night! That sounds so amazing!! Hope you had a good time :)

    Your cookies look terrific, even if they're a little flatter than you'd hoped. I'm so glad we made this recipe this week as I absolutely loved it! Like Mathias, I usually prefer cookie dough to baked cookies, but these cookies are an exception for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE ALMONDS and i feel hungry this time..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once I saw the first picture I smiled because I love your new cake stand--so cute!!!

    I collect them even if I don't have the room :-) I have 8 of them so far. Good thing is they stack!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They looks super delish! I'm planning on making mine this week and posting on Sunday as I wasn't up to baking last week.

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those cookies look great! I'll have to go back and bake them when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These were so good! I like your thin cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think your cookies look great; personally, I like thin cookies.

    If you need any help again doing online stuff and the fabulous Elyse isn't available, just let me know. I am on the computer so much any way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look great - and how wonderful for Melissa to bake along too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These sound great cookie dough taste without the risks! :)

    Love the cake stand!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  27. How could we resist all this sweetness? Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your cookies!

    Those chocolate chunks are killing me!

    ReplyDelete