Wednesday, June 10, 2009

More Birthday Cupcakes

Cupcakes - I almost can't believe I am choosing to FINALLY bring you the last of the birthday cupcakes from my friends Jen's and Steph's birthday party after staying up till 3:30am last night baking 8 1/2 dozen regular cupcakes and 4 dozen mini cupcakes. My second cupcake order! So fun - stay tuned cause I went all out with the decorations (IMHO). But, I am crazy like that, so here they are.

The 3rd flavor was strawberry cupcakes. I made 1 dozen of my go-to strawberry cupcake recipe - the ones my sisters always insist that I make when I go home and fight over - and 1 dozen of the Sprinkles strawberry cupcakes. I am sticking with my go-to strawberry recipe. The Sprinkles cupcakes rose a lot but instead of nice domes, it was flat and spread over the top of the cupcake pan - not cool. Seems this happens to me with one batch every time I make a bunch of cupcakes. So might not be the recipe, but what was the recipe was the use of pureed strawberries instead of chopped - and that makes a big difference. Tracey of the awesome blog Tracey's Culinary Adventures recently tried the Sprinkles strawberry cupcakes so you can check out her experience and adaptation.

I did, however, prefer the sprinkles frosting recipe as it was much thicker, tasted great and piped well. So, from now on, I will be combining my favorite strawberry cupcake recipe with Sprinkles strawberry frosting recipe. Click here for a Printable Recipe.

And, I must take a moment to thank the lovely Bunny of Bunny's Warm Oven for teaching me how to provide you with clean printable recipes. Thanks so much Bunny. You should check out her site, her photos make me drool, and she is on the top of my list for my Blog Love project.

Finally, the fourth cupcake flavor was Mocha Chip with Chocolate Buttercream frosting. I actually don't have much to say about these, as most of the feedback I received that night - after a few - ok, probably like a few to many - adult beverages was about the #1 Cupcakes that I posted about. But, these went fast and furious too, and the recipe is from one of my FAVORITE cupcake books - 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson. Seriously, this is the one book that I go to all the time. There are great simple basics and clever flavor combinations - all of them easy to make and they provide a great basis for playing around. And these mocha chip cupcakes have both ground coffee and instant coffee granules for a nice strong coffee flavor. Click here for a Printable Recipe.


16 comments:

  1. All these cupcakes. They all sound fabulous. Id have to say the mocha is my favorite. They are also oh so pretty. You did a fantastic job!!

    I love your new printable feature. Makes it so nice for anyof us wanting to print out these goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How nice is your blog looking! Totally nice! Love the printable recipes! I like the look of the last of your Birthday cupcakes, I have a penchant for pink sprinkles ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something about cupcakes always makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've been a busy baker! Everything looks fantastic! I really want to try those mocha chip cupcakes. They sound amazing!

    I love the new look of your blog and I think it's so cool that you have printable recipes now. I generally bring my laptop into the kitchen to bake and I really need to break that bad habit and just print the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wouwie sooo late...but they look sooo lushious and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! I love anything with sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not believe you were up so late making cupcakes. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberry cake is one of my absolute faves! All of your cupcakes look great!

    Out of curiosity, how much did you charge perdozen cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I've ever had a "real" strawberry cupcake, I think just the cakemix kind; they look delicious. And the new printable recipe feature is so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, my birthday is in August...just sayin ;)
    They look great and I love the printable recipes..I have to learn how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to try strawberry cupcakes some time... but the mocha chip is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tried the Sprinkles strawberry cupcake recipe too and didn't really care for it. Did you post your personal fave somewhere?? I'd love to try it. And what pastry tip did you use on your mocha cupcakes? I love how they look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Bunny's blog! I'll have to ask her about that printing link.

    Both of those cupcakes look good. I've made th Sprinkles cupcakes before and thought they were pretty good. I have also made Paula Deen's and thought it even better. I'll have to check out your go to recipe.

    Btw, you're crazy baking all those cupcakes in one night! LOL! WOW, that's really impressive!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cupcakes all look and sound amazing - but the girly pink strawberry ones have my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want them strawberry cupcakes! So darn cute!

    ReplyDelete