Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Cake Slice: Pina Colada Cake

Ok, so I totally made the June selection of Tripple Layer Pina Colada Cake for the Cake Slice group on-time. But, just didn't get a chance to post it until now. Hey, it is still June (barely). I had a great occasion to take this cake to - a beautiful weekend on the Delta at Bethel Island. My good friend OE's parents live right on the water in this great big blue house. They invite us out every summer (or maybe we invite ourselves!) and they are such amazing hosts, taking us out on their boats, cooking us dinner, keeping good company. Thanks Mr. & Mrs. A - can't wait to come back for 4th of July. So I was happy to have a great cake to take along to share with everyone.
"They" all insisted I pose with my cake. So here I am with my prized Pina Colada cake. "If you like pina colada's ..." I had this song in my head when making this cake, I just had to buy it off I-tunes and I seriously listened to it over and over, I love that song.
Once again, I had a bit of trouble with the frosting. I just don't like making those meringue frostings. At first I couldn't get the frosting to get past the almost curdled stage. Then I did a little research and realized I needed to switch from the whisk to paddle attachment - that sure did the trick. But frosting it, well that was tough. Thank goodness for the coconut on the outside. It was a very strange texture, it was slippery. It was very hot that day, so that might have had something to do with it, but I don't know. I might just have to be an american buttercream baker - unless Cassie wants to visit SF and come show me since she is the queen of SMBC.
So, the verdict. People loved this cake. OE's dad, "Mr. A," liked it a lot and he's aparently not a huge cake fan, and "Mrs. A" also loved it alot. People really liked how moist it was (thanks to the soaking of the layers in rum!) and the fact that it was not toooo sweet. OE like the cake, not his favorite, but good he said. He thought it was a bit of texture overload and that the pineapple filling was a little surprisingly tart (compared to the cake). I will definately make this again for all those pina colada lovers out there.

PRINTABLE RECIPE
courtesy of the great Monica of Lick the Bowl Good.

15 comments:

  1. I love that song, and I love that cake! It looks delicious.
    You look gorgeous in that photo, I am glad your friends persuaded you to pose!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pina colada cake sounds like a winner in my book. Love things soaked in rum:) You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm looks good. I have to say that you should totally practice swiss meringue buttercream - it is soooo good, I haven't gone back since I started making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Oh... Sorry, I couldn't resist. LOL This cake looks killer! One I think I need to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so cute with your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I will be bookmarking this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Now that song is stuck in my head too! Your cake looks wonderful! I missed this one - just too many other things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, thanks for the shou out and link. I think you're pretty great too!

    I thought your cake turned out well. While I thought mine was pretty, I didn't love it. It had great aspects, but together it fell. I didn't have any problems with my frosting, other than not liking it. How good would this be covered in cream cheese? Shoot, you can't have cream cheese--dang!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Pina Colada cake sounds delicious! It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, so did you go with the Italian meringue (as per the recipe), or did you Swiss it up? I'm going to make a video sometime next week and try to explain SMBC a little better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful! And I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your cake looks great! Wish I had a slice!

    Btw, I'm pretty certain that the frosting recipe is actually an Italian Meringue Buttercream. I believe Swiss Meringue is made with eggwhites whipped over a double boiler. Hope that helps, maybe?!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous view in the background! And a lovely cake to boot. I made this one for a work birthday (well, 2 work birthdays in one) back in January, and the birthday girls loved it ('specially as it was boozy!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pretty sure I would love this cake. Just had fresh pineapple yesterday and was wishing I had a pina coloda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake is gorgeous and that's such a cute photo of you!

    ReplyDelete