Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Big Fun Cupcake Order

So, a while back, I hinted at a big large cupcake order that kept me up till 3 AM. Well, I am finally sharing with you the fruits of my labor. A partner at my office has the cutest sweetest daughter and they were hosting a tea party mid-week for 30 or so of her friends (plus their moms). I was asked to make the cupcakes to fit their blue and white color theme. I was super excited. Like many of you (do I have any non-baking blogger readers, doubtful) I just love any opportunity to bake.

A long while ago I had bought cupcake boxes from BRP Box Shop - a great buy. I have been using them for a long time now - love them. My sweetie pie assistant - who must have washed the dishes at least 6 times - also helped me by making labels for the boxes with my logo, blog, email and cupcake flavors. He was a champ - thanks baby.

I planned ahead - at least as far as the decorations went. I made the flowers using royal icing and my large flower tip. I had bought a flower nail head (is that what it is called?) and tried to make roses, but that didn't work out. I really need a wilton class - why is their NO Michaels or JoAnn's in San Francisco - seriously Internet do they think only people that live in the burbs want to be crafty? I don't think so.


My biggest plan ahead challenge was making butterflies out of candy melts. I got the idea from the book Hello Cupcake. I was lucky enough to get this book for my birthday from my awesome longtime friend Ashley R. (who may in fact be my only non-baker reader). Thanks Ashley. This is a great book. The first few butterflies - I don't want to talk about it. After failing on my roses, I was seriously distraught. But, I was determined to prevail.

The biggest problem that I was having with these was the fact that by the time I filled in the blue, the chocolate outline had dried which did not allow me to do the nice streaking. I was also having problems with the candy hardening in the zip lock bag and causing clotting, which made the candy melts shoot out when I applied more pressure to unclog the bag. Bad news bears.

I put my thinking cap on, and realized that what I needed was to keep the candy warm so it would stay nice and liquid. The solution? My heating pad. I took the cover off, put a paper towel on to of the pad, set the setting to low and layed the candy filled bags on top. IT WORKED! Like a charm. The candy stayed nice and melted the whole time it took me to make a dozen butterflies. Yay! In the end, I was very proud of my butterflies.


As for flavors. I went simple - considering I didn't start baking until 9PM. That was not planning ahead. I wanted to start early, I really did. But, I ended up heading over to the east bay to sign an offer on a house -which we didn't get - booo urns. Seriously (yes I say that alot), but the housing market in the east bay is brutal right now. So, late start it was. And, that meant vanilla vanilla, vanilla chocolate, chocolate vanilla, and very lemon lemon.

I did have a major failure on that epic baking night. I tried to make the Cake Slice Chai Cake into cupcake - cause hey, it was a tea party. So, I made the recipe as usual, poured the batter 3/4 full into my beautiful baking cups. And... they totally overflowed and filled the top of the cupcake pan - and I mean filled. There really was no salvaging. So, great cake, but not so great as cupcakes, at least for me.


Well, this is the end of the epic post about the epic baking night. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

34 comments:

  1. Wow! What a marathon baking effort! I am glad I am not the only one that leaves things till the last minute!
    First of all, they all look stunning! I like your butterflies, they are really pretty! But mainly I adore the look of the last batch pictured, those liners go so perfectly with the design, really visually stunning!

    Congratulations, I bet they were thoroughly enjoyed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the butterflies! How pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the butterfly ones are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew...I'm exhausted just thinking about all of the efforts you put into this! Fantastic job. The butterflies ended up beautifully! If I ever decide to make them, I will remember the heating pad tip! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterflies are gorgeous! One of my girlfriends made similar ones on Easter and they are precious and definitely worth the struggle!
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you did an excellent job! The cupcakes look wonderful, especially the butterfly ones :)

    Pity the chai cupcakes didn't work out - do you think if you filled the cupcake liners less that they would of worked out?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! These look great. I've been looking for cupcake boxes, so I'm going to have to check out that link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome job! my favorite are the bottom blue ones but really they're all spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those butterflies are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job! I love all the cupcakes, especially those chocolate ones! Your butterflies came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, the butterflies cup cakes is my favorite! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the butterflies and the teal cupcake liners! Great job, my friend.

    Let me place my order soon! ;)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the butterflies! Gotta try my hand at those wings, but I'm so bad with melted chocolate!

    Congrats on a beaut of an order!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE them all but the butterflies are my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! Holy longest-post-in-the-world, Batman! Ahahaha j/k! ;D Your butterflies look perfect! I wish I could do that! And good thinking with the boxes, I wish my brain would've been thinking that far in advance when I did my order today. I had to give her my cake taker and ask her to bring it back. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the cupcakes are gorgeous, but the butterflies have stolen my heart - far too beautiful to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your butterfly cupcakes are absolutely gorgeous. You have a lot of patience and creativity. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I am so impressed with those butterflies!!! The cupcakes all look beautiful, but those butterflies are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are all so impressive and gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! That's a lot a cupcakes! My fave are the ones at the end, love the blue and white stripes! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes siree you've been busy!! Each one of those cuppies is adoreable, you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how wonderful are all these cupcakes. Your talent is amazing. Such patience you must have. Impressive highly impressive job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so impressed Lorelei! Those cupcakes must have been a huge hit at the tea party. I really love the cupcake wrappers you used in the bottom few photos. Where did you get them? Oh, and how sweet is your husband to make labels for the boxes? I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did enjoy the pictures! The last cupcakes appeal to me the most- I love the simplicity and the cupcake liners are really cute too!

    Great job on the butterflies! I have one experience with candy melts that was very similar to yours. I never thought to use my heating pad though. You are pure genius! How did you keep the chocolate lining melted enough to streak it through the blue?

    You're fantastic as always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These all look amazing. I wish I was on the west coast to hire you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How cool! They are all so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bow down to your decorating skills! Wilton's got nothin' on you! That is the darned prettiest batch of cupcakes I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow really nice cupcakes. I m sure they were more than happy with these. The butterflies are the most beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. congratulations on the brilliant idea of keeping the candy melts nice and toasty. These look lovely! especially the butterfly ones. and the color blocked cupcake cups too! how lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I absolutely LOVE your cupcakes...they look amazing! Where do you get your cute cupcake liners?

    ReplyDelete
  31. cute cute cute! great colours, great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, Lorelei! I loved reading the problem solving on this project--and adorable cupcakes to boot! We should collaborate sometime on a (cup?)cake/cake topper project!

    ReplyDelete