Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD: Tiramisu Cake

This week's TWD recipe, a Tiramisu Layer Cake, was chosen by one of my favorite baking bloggers Megan of My Baking Adventures. You can get the recipe here, and while you are at it, check out her awesome brownie project here. My mom loves Tiramisu so this recipe makes me think of her and wish I could make this for her for Mother's day. It will have to wait until I go home in June, sorry Mom - but thinking of you and miss you.


I have to admit, that while I was going to do this recipe in its full, unadulterated unaltered glory, It just didn't happen. I had made a Bailey's Irish butter cream frosting that I got from Irene of Confessions of a Tart - another legal baker that is AMAZING. So even though I did buy the marscapone, and will use it I promise, I ended up just slathering on this delicious frosting that got rave reviews in its other purpose. Additionally, you may have noticed - after reading a gazillion posts about tiramisu cake - that my chocolate looks a little more thick and uniform than chocolate chunks would produce. Well, this is because I had made some delicious chocolate ganache earlier in the week as well, and wanted to use this up. So, I ended up being very resourceful for once and used what I had on hand and by doing so, was able to whip this baby together very last minute for an impromptu dinner party.

So, one day, I will make a real Tiramisu Cake for my mother with the marscapone frosting. But this cake, with the espresso/brandy soaked layers of cake, chocolate ganache filling and Bailey's buttercream frosting was very much loved as well.

37 comments:

  1. Yummo! I would very much like to attend a dinner party thrown by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great improvisations :) i'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful looking cake! I love your changes, I'll have to remember them when I go to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, that is one fantastic combination of flavors! It sounds like you've been doing some extra baking - I don't know how you fit it all in! Love this take on tiramisu.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous cake! I love that you used things you had on hand. This variation sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything soaked in Brandy would work. Wow what a creation. What a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Tiramisu and I can just imagine how gorgeous it must be in cake form! Your cake looks heavenly.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the touches you made. I think it is great whenever you can be resourceful and sub in what you have over buying extra! My kind of cake and definitely my kind of baking. I think your frosting was the better choice. The original was good, but not as good as BIC frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a ganache layer--excellent idea! sounds fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous and delicious looking cake. The layer is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tiramisu cake looks wonderful. The Baily's frosting sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fantastic! Love the ganache layer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great dinner party. Great cake - I'm still thinking about the brandy-soaked-ness of it 5 days later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice that you mentioned your mom. I know she would have loved that cake! Im sure you will be able to make it for her someday.
    Your cake looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The ganache was a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks lovely! I hope you'll get to enjoy the basic recipe with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there! Finally found you :) And probably gained 10 pounds just from browsing all your creations....

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely cake! With the buttercream and the chocolate layer I think it would make a wonderful birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I just say that this looks AAAAAAMAZING!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out great. And what's not to like about leftover ganache? Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I applaud your creative use of ingredients and not wasting any precious ganache! Seriously, that looks better than my cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Bailey's buttercream sounds awesome. It seems like whenever a recipe calls for ganache I end up with extra and then let it go bad, that is a great re-use!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Waw,.....aaaaaaaahhhhhh....mmmmmmmm.....looks delicious as ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic looking cake! And beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is always such fun to see what others do with the recipe...one learns the most wonderful things. Thanks for sharing...I learned some things and enjoyed your post and the photo of your lovely cake.
    Kayte
    www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks lovely! What a creative cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, this is really impressive... endless layers of yum

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mm, looks like your resourceful alterations made for one divine delicious cake! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Irish cream buttercream frosting on tiramisu? Wowsa!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks really good. I like your changes.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks delicious - just like everything else that you bake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dare I say it --- the baileys frosting and chocolate ganache sounds better than the original recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm not a fan of Tiramisu, but that cake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. All those layers look really great. Bet it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It looks so moist. It makes my mouth water just to look at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yum! Love the ganache layer in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love that you made this recipe your own by changing up the elements. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete