Wednesday, May 13, 2009

TWD: Tartest Lemon Tart

OK, so another (somewhat) late TWD post - just spreading it out for all ya! Really, I was going to be on time, I was. I deliberately saved it to the last minute so I could make them for a bake sale for the San Francisco Food Bank my firm had today. But, my broker called me about some houses and I just had to run over to the east bay to check them out, then yada yada. So, this tart was done and sampled at around 1:30AM (technically Wednesday, I know) and I was too tired to get this post up.

This weeks TWD recipe of Tartest Lemon Tart was chosen by Babette Feasts. You can get the recipe here. I decided I had to try this recipe lactose free so I could eat it and boy did it work, they are DELICIOUS. I substituted the butter in the crust and filling for lactose free margarine (that I stuck in the freezer for the crust) and soy creamer for the cream in the filling. I was skeptical, but it tastes delicious and you really can't tell at all (so says my hubby who unlike me can remember the taste of cream and butter). So if you know any lactose free friends or family who like lemon desserts, this can totally be made lactose free - whooopiee!

I ended up making two 4.5 inch tarts and six 3 inch tarts. I didn't seem to have the boiling over problem that many did, maybe my lactose free substitutions?, so they all turned out great. Thanks so much Babette Feasts and Dorie, I LOVED this super tart, deliciously lemon dessert.

27 comments:

  1. My most favorite tart. I love it so much. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous Lorelei - it would have given you a wonderful pick me up at the wee small hour of 1.30am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just lovely! I love the mini! I've gotten some posts in really late too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart looks perfect Lorelei! Did you use Meyer lemons or remove the pith? I used regular lemons (with pith) and mine was really, really bitter. I think I need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know it can be made lactose free - it does look delicious, and probably tasted better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tart looks great. I bet it was a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Dorie's french pear tart but, never tried this one. It looks sooo lemony and I luvs me some o them lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that this one worked out for you. I liked it a lot too and I'm not the biggest fan of lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tart looks wonderful. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tart looks absolutely fantastic. I adore lemon tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading how much you enjoyed this, how happy you are to have found such an amazing lactose free dessert... it was indeed better late than never!!! lol

    Looks delicious, super chunky and extra creamy! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mini tart looks fantastic and it's great that you were able to make it lactose-free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you were able to make it lactose free and that you enjoyed it! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, I love lemons, I love tarts... looks delicious! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been seeing this around on other blogs, and it's making me crave it. Or something lemon-y. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lemon desserts! This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the house search! I really liked this tart, too, and thought it was tasty and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad my boyfriend can't see my Google reader. He'd never shut up until I made this for him!! Lol

    Btw, I got the jars from Michael's! I just prettied them up with some ribbons and tissue paper! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice looking tarts! I think you liked it as much as I did, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad it worked out so well for you with the lactose substitutions. It would be frustrating to make something you couldn't sample yourself. Very nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look how pretty it is!! I'm so glad you got the chance to make it and really enjoy it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome to adapt it so you can have some, too! This was a YUMMY one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Better late than never. Beautiful tart.

    ReplyDelete