Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD: Fresh Mango Bread


Look at me posting this TWD recipe on Tuesday, with almost an hour to go! Almost didn't happen even though I baked these Fresh Mango Bread loaves the day before mother's day because of my super sucky computer. Feel like a real life commercial of the Mac (which my husband uses many of and thinks only sane rational people use) vs. my struggling, not doing so well but relatively new desktop PC - wahhhhaaaa. So, we'll see what we do about that - a Mac convert in the making, just maybe.

So, this week's recipe was chosen by Kelly of Baking with Boys and you can get the recipe here. It is basically a spiced cake with chopped fresh mangos in it. It also called for raisins, but like many of you out there, that generated a yuck response to me. So, I substituted in chopped dried apricots. I doubled the recipe (sending my husband back to the store for one more mango because I misread the recipe, for his third time at the store that day - I am a very lucky woman), so that I could give one to my mother-in-law and one to my sister-in-law as mother's day presents. So, no inside the bread photos.

I had a little bit of an issue with the baking time. First, I set the timer, and forgot to turn it on (have done that way too often sadly). Second, we went to lunch in the park because it was gorgeous out and we are about to get our lovely foggy cold summer here in SF, so it was hard to leave the sun, meaning I started baking these breads a little over an hour before we were supposed to be across the city. I thought I could just be a tad late to dinner - since I would be gift in hand, but then realized I couldn't really pull it out of the oven and run - how would I package it up steaming hot? So I left the breads, slightly underdone, and then stuck them back in the oven when I got home that night.

My mother-in-law seemed to like the bread a lot. The other bread never made it to my sister-in-law, it got mis-delivered to another (well deserving Mom, who unfortunately left town the next morning so not sure what its final fate was - oh well). I LOVE mangos and many of my fellow TWD'ers liked the bread a lot, so I will do another double batch soon - one for me and one for my sister-in-law.

32 comments:

  1. Your loaves look great! How nice of you to give them as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive never baked with mango and this looks like a great first recipe to try. I adore mango salsa, and I bet Id love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look perfect! And how generous of you to give them both away! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it looks great and I love Mangos...would have never used it in baking, but now that I see it can be done...=) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with this bread. It looks really, really, really, good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bread looks awesome. I cant wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bread look really perfect. Sounds so good with mango!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a fairly recent Mac convert, I say go for it! Your bread looks terrific. I also gave mine as Mother's Day gifts - such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bread loaves look really nice! It doesn't seem like baking time was a problem at all. And you're very generous to bake 2 loaves and give away both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your loaves look great! At least we know one was a success and the other one probably was too--people really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've miscalculated baking time more often than I'd care to admit. But at least yours worked out for you -

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bread looks great!

    I switched to a Mac about a year ago and I would never go back. It's really easy to switch (they give amazing free classes at the Apple store). No more antivirus software, mysterious crashes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankfully, the timer on my oven will start automatically even if I forget to push the button! You need one of those, LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad your bread turned out so well. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do the same thing with my kitchen timer! Either that or I forget to set it entirely and I find myself thinking, "well, I'm pretty sure that it's been in for at least 15 minutes, right?" I think that dried apricots sound like such a great addition for this bread. I'm glad that your mother-in-law liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't use the timer on my oven, I always forget it! Your loaves look wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful loaves! What a nice idea to make them for Mothers' Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your bread looks great! I must admit, I am curious as to what happened to the other loaf! Keep us posted on its fate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your loaves look great Lorelei! You will have to bake them again to taste them - it's a fab recipe. Sorry to hear about your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks incredible. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy! I like the addition of the apricots..and what a great husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the idea of mango bread, and you loaves do look good. I love that you gave them as gifts, its so nice to be on the receiving end I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. MMMMM...your version of the mango bread looks so delicious! yum Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your bread looks delicious! After a loooong search for the perfect cookie/muffin plate with top my husband surprised me with this one from Williams Sonoma for Christmas/Hanukkah. I don't know if they still have it, but Fishs Eddie and Crate & Barrel have some that are comparable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aww, I'm glad your MIL loved this! Your loaves turned out so pretty!! And Mathias is such a sweetie, but this, I already knew :) Can you believe how soon you're going to Hawaii?!! So exciting! Oh, and I cannot tell you how many times I have forgotten to click "start" on the timer. Oy, such is life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're such a giver --- It's such a treat to receive homemade goodies, especially if they look like these delicious looking loaves!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks good! I'm frequently guilty of forgetting about cooling time when planning to take some sort of baked good somewhere. Okay for some things, but not so good for others. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fresh mango bread this is really good..

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are so ambitious with 2 loaves! ;)

    Great job and great photo! YUM!

    ReplyDelete