Sunday, May 3, 2009

SMS: Strawberry Shortcakes

This week's Sweet Melissa Sundays recipe of Strawberry Shortcakes was chosen by Wendy of the amazing blog Pink Stripes. You should check out her stunning FOUR variations and the recipe here (nicely done Wendy!).

I had been hearing great things about this recipe from the P&Q section all week from members that made it and loved it, so I was really looking forward to making these. This was another first for me, I have never made strawberry shortcakes before and can't remember the last time I had one. So I made these lactose free (almost) and substituted the cream with soy creamer and butter with lactose free margarine. I don't know if that really affected the texture, but my dough was super sticky and really hard to shape and work with, so I think they didn't rise as much as they should have because of all my handling.

They tasted FABULOUS however. The hint of lemon in the cakes paired so well with the strawberries (which got an extra tablespoon of brandy to soak in). The cake above was scarfed by yours truely within minutes after the photo was taken. Since I tried to make these completely lactose free, I went with cool whip instead of fresh whipped cream (my hubby didn't notice!) but that's why it looks a little watery above. Unfortunately this is some casinate in the cool whip and when I eat this in large quantities, it causes a significant tummy ache. What we do for our blogs - I wanted a pretty picture, so I slathered on the whipped topping. I should have then removed most of it before eating (you really only need a hint because the biscuit/cake and strawberries are soooo good), but no, little miss piggy over here went for it all. Oh well. I survived =)

Thanks Wendy, great recipe selection and AMAZING post. Check out the other SMS bakers here.

35 comments:

  1. I love how yours look with that lightly whipped cream. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply delicious! Just perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone who made these had a completely different experience with the dough. Mine was so dry I had to add a little extra cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked these - they were awfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sacrifices we make for our artwork!

    I'm so glad that you were able to eat these - I think of you every time I'm making a dessert for SMS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! you are so creative in your subs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how these shortcakes look, the whipped cream, the berries, the biscuit, soooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's interesting that your dough was so sticky. Mine was the complete opposite - very dry! I'm glad that it still tasted delicious. It looks really amazing! I scarfed mine down too and paid the price with a tummy ache after!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that it was one you could eat! It looks super-good with all the topping; I know I wouldn't have done the practical thing and scraped off the extra either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry your dough was sticky, but they sure turned out good. I so agree with the lemon zest flavor. It really added some great sweetness to these all ready killer SBSC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So thats what they're suppose to look like! Good job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been excited all week to see what the SMS bakers thought of this one. I have to bring strawberry shortcakes to a family mother's day gathering next week and plan on making these. Now I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm! Looks great. (I'd rather have Cool Whip than real whipped cream, sorry you ate too much of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything with strawberries and whipped cream, count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. these were delicious weren't they? great job adapting the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your shortcakes look perfect!! Nothing flat about them. They're so pretty. And it looks like you got great ligthting for the pic--was that the new light? If so, I'm going to second what I said earlier and say that it totally looks natural. Yay for shortcakes, yay for challah/babka, and yay for our fabulous get togethers :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yippie,...I love them!!! Great dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUMMY!! This looks perfect for spring, summer, fall or winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks fabulous Lorelei - I can understand why you scarfed it down. Hope your tummy feels better now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm looks delicious! I think I often overwork biscuit dough... which just means I have to make them more often so I can perfect them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How cool that you made them lactose free. the splash of brandy with the strawberries sounds delicious. Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's great that this recipe was so easily adaptable to your dietery restrictions. I thought it was absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These do look delicious. Strawberries soaked in a bit of brandy! Perfect. It's great that you can make these according to your dietary specifications and have them turn out so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good job making a lactose free version of these. Tough to do with a shortcake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's like the perfect summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhh,soaked in brandy, sounds good to me. Great looking shortcake, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think your shortcakes turned out great, not flat at all. The whipped cream topping looks creamy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love reading about your lactose-free variations!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you making this lactose free so that you could partake in the yuminess.

    Sorry about the tummy ache!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm always inwardly cheering when you decide to go for the lactose free variation, b/c it means you get to taste it! Sorry if this one wasn't as kind to you as you would have liked. Looks amazing.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Massive yum! I wish I had time to make these!

    I think I'm going to catch up on the two recipes I missed one Sunday. Like an uber SMS post :D

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  32. This shortcake looks great! I have also never made one. I am happy to hear you were able to create a lactose free version.

    ReplyDelete