Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lemon Sweets From Other Blogs

So, no SMS for me this week. This week's recipe was Lemon Icebox Cake, and was chosen by Jennifer of Keep Passing the Open Windows. Sorry Jennifer. I just didn't have any room in my freezer, we have a really packed and small one, and I didn't have an audience for it and since it had to be frozen, that made giving it away too tough. It looks really great, and I will have to try it someday. Check out the other SMS bakers and their wonderful creations here.

In order to give you more than just an - I didn't bake along this week post - I'll share with you some lemon treats I have made recently after seeing them on other blogs.

My dad sure loves his lemon desserts and I had some extra lemons on hand so I wanted to make him something that would ship well - i.e. not lemon bars (his favorite). So, when I came across Lemon Sugar Cookies from Nicole of Baking Bites I figured I would give these a try.



My ever faithful taster hubby love these and said they had a similar texture to snickerdoodles, crispy on the outside and nice and chewy on the inside. He love them. After passing the taste test, I packed up two gift bags and shipped one off to my father in Los Angeles and the other off to my father-in-law in Chicago (who sent me the picture above of the cookies & daffodils). They were very well recieved.

Lemon Sugar Cookies
(from Nicole of Baking Bites)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. Gradually mix in the flour at low speed, making sure to incorporate all of the flour and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Place remaining 2-3 tbsp sugar in a small bowl. Shape 1-inch balls of dough, roll in the sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until set but not browned (or only very lightly on the bottom). Edges should be slightly firm. Cool cookies on the pan for a minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.Store in an airtight container.

Makes about 4 dozen



On another recent occassion, I found myself with more extra lemons, and decided to make Mini Lemon Bunt Cakes after seeing them on Two Peas and Their Pod (a really great blog). The recipe for these cakes is the Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Yogurt Cake.



I gave these out to the many legal secretaries at my work that are super sweet and always willing to help me out during our staff appreciation week. They all seemed to love them.





Inna's Lemon Yogurt Cake



1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 C. plain whole-milk yogurt
1 1/3 C. sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 tsp. grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1/3 C. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Glaze:
1 C. confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.



Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.



Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 C. lemon juice and remaining 1/3 C. sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.



When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.



For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake. Slice and serve!

20 comments:

  1. Loving the lemon sugar cookies - and the bundts aren't too bad either!

    Too bad you missed this week - the cake is really good and worth making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bvoth of these recipes, the cookies sound so good and the little bundt cakes are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of lemon desserts, so I'm glad you posted some non-SMS treats! I do recommend the icebox cake, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these lemon bundt cakes! I'm soo going to make them! I won't be able to make IronCupcake Challenge tomorrow (bummer cuz I wanted to taste all the ones with booze!) but we're definitely going to have to get together! Your stuff looks AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those recipes. I still have eight lemons sitting in my fruit bowl and I really need to do something with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those mini bundts are so so sweet! I want them for my breakfast!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here i was wondering what to do with the leftover lemons! The bundt cakes are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those lemon cakes! They are too cute!Glad you tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm - what a great post. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all things lemon. They make me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies and the cakes look wonderful! I'm so excited you posted the mini bundt cakes as I'm currently stockpiling recipes to try in my mini bundt pan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the cookies and the mini-bundts look amazing. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mini-bundts look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You lucky woman! I've been searching all over for a mould like you've used for the yogurt cakelets!

    You've made them just perfect! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehe, I love those mini bundt cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those lemon sugar cookies look so delicious and the cakes are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum those cookies look great. I made cookies this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cookies & the cakes look so lovely & delicious!! I love them!! How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum!! I wanna be one of the secretaries at your work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love lemons! Both of your lemony desserts look good especially those mini bundts cakes....love mini!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,

    These seem to be of those simple cookies and cakes and yet so good that one cannot eat only one.

    Best regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete