Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Happy Cinco De Mayo! I should be celebrating Mexico two weeks from tomorrow in the beautiful Riveria Maya at the Valentin Imperial Resort - swine flu permitting, cross your fingers for me. Today, in rainy balmy San Francisco, a corona or two and tacos will have to do! I have made these Mexican Chocolate cupcakes several times now, and they have always been loved and devoured. They have just a hint of cinnamon and spice - oh so nice! I made these little flags to make them more festive. To do so, I just copied and pasted a picture of the Mexican flag over and over in a word document, printed them out, then glued a toothpick in between two of the little flag print outs. So easy peasy. Hope you all are having a great day!

Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes



1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 C Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 C water
2 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 C well-shaken buttermilk
2 T vanilla
2 C all purpose flour
1 t baking soda1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
Pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Put cupcake papers in your muffin tins.

Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in cocoa. Add water and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in separately sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper into a bowl. Then sift again into the cocoa mixture and whisk until just combined (it will be a little bit lumpy).
Fill cupcake papers to about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes until a skewer or toothpick comes out clean. It’s a moist cake, so don’t worry if a few crumbs stick to your tester.

Cassie's Grandmother's Chocolate Frosting - my go-to chocolate frosting recipe - from the awesome How to Eat a Cupcake.


Makes about 3 cups (Enough to frost 12 cupcakes + 1 cup leftover)

1 stick (4 oz) butter or margarine (Cassie's Grandma always uses margarine)
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat milk for about 30 seconds in microwave until hot. Stir in vanilla and instant coffee until dissolved. In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar, and cocoa powder. Add warm milk and mix on high speed until fluffy.

19 comments:

  1. OMG, too cute for words, darling!

    I am hosting a dinner party tonight with enchiladas and hot Mexican chocolate.

    One of these days, we should do a baking day together!

    Happy Cinco De Mayo! Ariba! Ariba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Cinco De Mayo! Your cupcakes are so fabulously festive! Love the little flags :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What sweet way to celebrate Cinco De Mayo with "Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes"
    Cheers,
    elra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupcakes sound awesome.
    There shouldn't be a problem with going to Mexico. My parents are there right now, near Ixtapa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so perfect for Cinco De Mayo! I love the spices in them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cupcakes sound amazing!! I really like the spices. These are on my "must" try list. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look awesome. Of course, they're chocolate cupcakes so they have to be awesome. I've been thinking about you and your Mexico trip. I'm beyond jealous -- I'm so jealous that I can't even describe it.
    But, I digress! You won the Screen Doors and Sweet Tea book (and it's awesome and I love it and I bet that you will, too). So, shoot me an email with your address and I'll make sure that you get it sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great way to celebrate! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulous - would love to try these with the pink pepper in them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great - very cute little flags :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so bookmarking this chocolate frosting. I need a good go to one. The cupcakes look adorable.. and I bet the cayenne made them extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cupcakes! I made Mexican chocolate cupcakes for a party a while ago and they were a huge hit. Hope your vacation works out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy cinco to you too! These sound great and what a perfect treat to celebrate this day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dunno if that's a typo or an honest mistake, but my name is Cassie! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my these cupcakes look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! I bet they're yummy, too =)
    Hope you trip pushes through! Happy & healthy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those look so cute!! I love using the Abuelita Mexican chocolate in baked goods...oooh mexican chocolate croissants up next! re: Sur La Table classes... it seems most of them are far too 'general' for me (aka how to grill steak), but the few I have taken that have specific topics are pretty good in teaching the technique. We're taking a Tart one next and I need it because my tart dough is horrible right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so making these for my birthday! I love spicy chocolate - chocolate should have a bit of savory in it, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete