Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Cake Slice: Mile-High Devil's Food Cake

My second month of participating in the Cake Slice Bakers group. And let me just tell you, the Chai Cake and this month's Mile-High Devil's Food Cake were out of this world good. I would highly recommend the book we are baking out of - Sky High: Irrisistible Tripple-Layer Cakes. Go get it!!!

I LOVED this cake. I ate almost the whole slice below for breakfast this morning (oink oink). The cake is very rich chocolate and moist, and fudgy, and delicious. It is so good, it doesn't need frosting (IMO). I made it lactose free by substituting lactose free margarine for the buttter. This is going to be my go-to chocolate cake recipe from now on, can't wait to try it as cupcakes.



The frosting, well if you have seen the many other Cake Slice baker's cakes this month, you'll notice mine is a little flat in the frosting department. I wasn't aiming for the slim and trim look though (because come on, this is a decadent tripple-layer chocolate cake OK). Aparently, lactose free margarine does not work as a good substitution in Italian meringue buttercream. It was like soup, no matter how long I tried to whip the heck out of it (maybe that was part of the problem too??). Don't know, but I had to add powdered sugar and meringue powder, and stick it in the fridge to get it think enough to frost (barely).


I didn't love the brown sugar frosting either (tasted like butter flavor to me - so I added in vanilla bean paste, which helped). So, next time I think I will stick with regular american buttercream. And, someday I will get up the courage to try SMBC, because we all know Cassie of How to Eat a Cupcake swears by it, and if you read her blog, you know she has authority in that department. Click the link below for the recipe. Cassie, can you make SMBC lactose free?

PRINTED RECIPE

34 comments:

  1. looks great! i agree-- i could eat devil's food without frosting, and be a very happy camper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a seriously fabulous cake! Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what... I have no idea! I guess you could try using margarine in it, but I've never done it so I can't say it will work. And it's okay if you beat the heck out of it. SMBC is tuff stuff!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great looking cake - and just in time, because I need a lactose free birthday cake for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy that looks so delicious and moist! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like one fine cake - I wouldn't mind a piece right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have developed an intolerance to lactose. I a not sure if thi is possible, but if thst is what has happened your blog will be my new bible. This cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This looks delicious! Those layers of chocolate cake are just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good! I can never say no to cake... which explains the spare tire clinging to my mid-section! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, another beautiful gigantic tall cake! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I haven't tried to make SMBC lactose free yet. But we should try it out! What's the worst that can happen?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great...too bad about the brown sugar buttercream, because frankly it sounds AH-MAZING! I wish it had turned out better. But if the cake was that good, who needs icing-that might be the first time I have ever said that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a mighty cake! Looks wonderful! I am glad I found you on twitter:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone seems to have loved this one. Yours looks good. Sorry about the frosting.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your cake looks lovely. I also had so much trouble with the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this cake looks seriously divine!!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just ordered that book! Hope to get it this week...oh and I am baking this cake today for an order tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was reading about buttercreams the other day, and Italian Meringue is apparently much more finnicky than SMBC! So, take heart...it's not you...it's the Italian BC! This cake looks divine. Everyone's raving about the chocolate cake, so I'll definitely have to try out the recipe soon! When are you leaving for Hawaii? I know it's super soon. I don't know if I'll get to see you before then because my out-of-town guest is coming in pretty soon (and my Toddy is heading off to Ireland without me...jerk), but if we don't get together before, then we have to get together IMMEDIATELY after because (1) I'll need to see your pics, (2) I'll need to tell you how jealous I am, (3) I'll be in full throws of withdrawal from not seeing you at that point, and (4) I just really like hanging out with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting my blog..This looks incredible...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't decide if I like this Devil's Food or the Sweet Melissa Devil's Food recipe better!! They were both so delicious! I think a taste-off is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You guys are KILLING me with all this cake. That book looks good, but if I start baking out of another book, I don't know if I will be able to fit out the door anymore! :o) Great job! Sorry the frosting didn't work out, but your cake looks seriously decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cake for breakfast is the way to go! will you be visiting oregon for the country fair?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy moly, I need that cake! It looks sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I recently put Sky High on my Amazon wish list, and your description of this cake and those photos are accelerating to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum that cake looks absolutely amazing. I could dive right into a hunk of that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think cake for breakfast sounds like a sterling idea! It looks amazing. I have this book, but I won't join the group, because me and a triple decker cake every month is dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I completely forgot about the cake slice this month and that devils food looks luscious. Maybe next month. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GRRREAT cake! Sorry about your icing issues.

    ReplyDelete
  29. All of the cakes from that book look so decadent! I really want to try this one - yours looks so good! Sorry about the frosting issues but it still looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing looking cake. Where do you find the time to practice law and bake cakes that look as good as this?!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know how I missed your cake! I loved this one- the cake itself was delicious. It's one of my most favorite chocolate cakes EVER!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete