Friday, May 22, 2009

Aloha: Pina Colada Cupcakes

Well, in about 9 hours I will be on a direct flight to Maui for an 8 day vacation with my hubby. Hercules, Hercules (clapping hands). As you may remember, I was supposed to go to Mexico, but on the urging of friends and family, we relocated to Hawaii. While I do think the swine flu frenzy is a bit exaggerated, in the end I didn't want to take any chances that either of us would be sick on our vacation because a week long vacation all alone in paradise is not something we do all that often - like 3 1/2 years ago for our honeymoon. I have never been to Hawaii and am sooo excited. Thank you William and Locey for making this all possible by the use of your condo. So, in the spirit of Hawaii, I bring you these delicious pina colada cupcakes.



My work was having a bake-sale fundraiser for the San Francisco Food Bank and I of course had to go all out. So I made 2 kinds of cookies, mini TWD lemon tarts, and 6 dozen cupcakes in 3 varieties. I adapted a pina colada recipe I had used before to make it a little more coconutty and boozy. My tasters at work said these were super delicious and really moist. They said they could certainly taste the rum and thought it tasted just like a pina colada. They didn't last at the bake sale that long. If you are looking for a delicious cuptail, I would encourage you to try these.


Pina Colada Cupcakes
(Makes 24)

2 ½ cups cake flour or AP flour (what I used)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda1
½ sticks unsalted butterat room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained well

· Combine coconut milk and rum.
· Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
· Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 to 6 minutes.
· Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape as needed.
· Add vanilla, coconut extract and mix until incorporated. Add one-third of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
· Add a third of the coconut/rum mixture and mix until incorporated. Continue to alternate with flour and liquid two more times. Scrape sides of bowl.
· With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the crushed pineapple.
· Fill each one about 2/3 full. Bake until cake springs back when lightly pressed or skewer comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.


Rummy Buttercream Frosting
(double the recipe to pipe frosting like in photos)

½ cup butter, softened to room temp
2-2 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
coconut milk as needed
Beat butter, sugar, and rum together with a handheld mixer at low speed until moistened, then beat at high speed to cream. Stop after a minute to scrape bowl and add vanilla. Beat till thick, fluffy and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Add small increments of confectioners’ sugar if too wet, dribble in a little coconut milk if too dry.

37 comments:

  1. Yum! Have fun on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh have fun. These cupcakes sound outrageously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look delicious! I hope you have a great time in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm, a pina colada on the beach - ok, I am really jealous now!

    Enjoy your vacation - Hawaii's a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so good! I don't like to drink pina colodas but I like the flavor in just about everything else. I definitely want to try these soon.
    Have fun on your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy cupcakes! I hope you have a great time in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  7. first, so jealous about hawaii...second ~ 6 DOZEN?!?! WOW!! That's a lot of cupcakes and I am sure they were appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My, you were certainly busy!! The cupcakes look wonderful and I'm sure that they were delicious. I hope you and your hubs have a fantastic vacation. Love Hawaii! It's been 13 years since I was there, but I'm sure it's only gotten more beautiful. Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful holiday Lorelei!

    Your pina colada cuppies are so cute! Where did you get the little mermaids on top?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm. A little jealous--jk, but have FUN in Hawaii! I went there many moons ago and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful trip, your cuppies look and sound fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are some happy cupcakes, I love the mermaids on top! Hope you have a wonderful happy holiday with lots of rest and relaxation! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. CUPTAIL! I love it. You are so creative. I will trying out these cupcakes along with the Margarita cupcakes from recipegirl next week. DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look great! We're fans of all things pina colada-ish!

    Have a safe trip and a wonderful time!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cutest cupcakes! Have a fabulous trip-I love Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have live in Paradise two different times just enjoy yourself and work on your tan. Your cupcakes look great.Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was nice of you to make these for the bake sale, I can see why they went so fast. These sound like the ideal summer cupcake :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pina coladas so these are going on the "must make" list for me! They look fabulous! I hope you are having the most fantastic time in Hawaii!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have fun in Hawaii . . . as we returned from Spain!

    Lovely cupcakes! Very tropical indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a true cupcake lover and these look wonderful! I love the little mermaids on the top-

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you like pina colada... and getting caught in the rain... :)

    Now I have this song playing in my head! Lovely cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ohhhhhhh, hawaii. Such a fun place. We need to go back. Been 6 years since our trip there. It'll make a great winter vacation with my kids.
    Glad to have found your recipe, just in time for a birthday party this weekend. I needed a minimum of 24 cupcakes' recipe.
    Glad you liked my chocolate-halva babka. It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awww, these cuppies look awesome! I hope that you're having a fabulous time in Hawaii. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. We need to get together ASAP, by the way, when you do return. I want to hear about everything! And we need to have another baking session. I can't wait to try out your pina colada cupcakes; they're right up my alley (surprise, surprise). Great job! (And yay for the cake stand getting to be in the picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,

    We have just added your latest post "Aloha: Pina Colada Cupcakes" to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


    Warm Regards

    honeymun.com Team

    http://www.honeymun.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope your time in Hawaii is wonderful and relaxing. These cupcakes look like a perfect send-off. Love the mermaids!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh how wonderful! lucky you.
    I am so loving that rum frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great cupcakes! The frosting sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoy your vacation --- Hawaii is one of my favorite places to de-stress and relax.

    I love your "cuptails"..they look and sound so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Being a huge pina colada fan, these cupcakes are right up my ally!
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  30. one of my favorite cocktails--makes a great-looking cupcake! have a wonderful time in maui...sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Are those mermaids on top?? Those are so cute!

    Another Q: "Hercules, hercules" ...were you quoting The Nutty Professor?? If so, here's a *HUG* :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so jealous! I hope you had a great time.

    Love the mermaids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just got a craving for pina colada cupcakes and found your recipe. I had to combine it with a vegan cupcake recipe (I didn't have enough butter for cupcakes + frosting and I saved it for the frosting because butter is way more important in frosting) but thank you for the delicious inspiration! :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello,
    What kind of rum is in your recipe? Light, amber or dark rum?
    Thanks,
    R

    ReplyDelete