Saturday, May 9, 2009

#1 Birthday Cupcakes



It has taken me a while to bring you the next birthday cupcakes series. First was the much loved Funfetti cupcakes, and next are the #1 birthday cupcakes. This was almost everyone's hands down favorite. I recieved so may compliments on these babies and was told by many to leave the law to start my own bakery. So, if you want to feel like a baking superstar, I would suggest you make these for your next event.

Of course, it is not hard to see why this were much loved. They are an incredible marriage between two foodie celebrities. They are Martha's brownie cupcakes and the well known and well loved Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing with chopped Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I know I am not the only one to put these flavors together and in fact, so many of you have done combos of these flavors, it would be hard to mention them all. Proof that this combo is what Mother Nature really intended.


So, make these. You won't be disappointed. Well loved tried and true recipes that come together in perfect harmony.


I have made these once before (for Jen's birthday last year), and I must say in my opinion there is an important step in the brownie cupcake recipe. If you notice below, the ingredient list calls for 11 ounces of best quality chopped chocolate, but you melt the butter with only 11 ounces of chocolate and then add the remaining three ounces of chocolate to the batter just before scooping. When I made these the first time, I did not do it this way (I am terible when things call for divided amounts - I usually don't read all the way through first - oops, bad baker). And, they sunk a bit. When I did it right this time, they domed perfectly. Now, I am no expert, so this may not be related to the chocolate (since I am pretty sure that 3 ounces does end up melting), but might as well follow the recipe - right?



Without furter ado, I bring you the recipes:

MARTHA STEWART’S BROWNIE CUPCAKES:

INGREDIENTS
Serving: Makes 12.
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
11 ounces best-quality semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups Chopped

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners, and spray generously with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and 8 ounces of chocolate. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Stir in the melted chocolate until combined. Stir in remaining 3 ounces of chocolate.

Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter. Bake until a firm crust forms on the cupcakes, about 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool, about 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and continue to cool on a wire rack. Ice cupcakes with a generous amount of peanut butter frosting. Top with chopped Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups.


Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

42 comments:

  1. Oooooh - what I would give for one of those cupcakes. Sheer bliss, that's what they are.

    If you happen to have an extra one laying around, send it my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong with chocolate & peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing to say about those YUMMY cupcakes but can I please have one? Your photos are really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - they look so delicious! I would be perfectly happy with just your PB icing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look incredibly good, and strangely, they also look like cupcakes I tried just the other day at a Cupcakes Take the Cake party...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so glorious with those chopped bits on top, MM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, I adore peanut butter and chocolate together, its a match made in heaven! The new camera and you are taking some amazing cupcake photos, very pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cuppies are a certain show stopper!! My family would inhale these!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMM....what an excellent dessert!! Great flavours & so well presented!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'll defiantly be giving these a try. They look amazing! So tasty!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want, I want, I want! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow they are looking so good, that I could just make them for watching, not eating! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh- these look and sound delicious.... My husband is a peanut butter freak, these are screaming to made as a treat for him..... -e

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah - these look awesome - and funny since I made chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing last night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely delicious! Probably one of the best marriages made in heaven! Yours look like they'll be happy together forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made peanut butter frosting before, it sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man! These look killer! I couldn't stand being around them because I'd eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! Love the Reeses on top. I must try the peanut butter frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These do look great! Have never tried Martha's brownie cupcakes..they look so good, I hope I have everything on hand to make them! Also, is there anything better than PB frosting? don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  20. VERY nice photos! I skipped breakfast so that peanut butter frosting is looking FABULOUS right about now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW - these look fantastic. Wish I had one right now to go along with my boring lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look amazing - and beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cupcakes look gorgeous. Peanut butter icing sounds delicious. I love the way you decorated them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, those look amazing! I've made that peanut butter icing before and it was ridiculously good so I can definitely see why these got great reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The peanut butter icing sounds amazing and the cupcakes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH MY GOODNESS - thank you for the heads up about the blog post stealing - no i don't write for whatever blog that is! THey totally stole all of my photos!!!! What do you think I should do??? This has never happened to me before

    ReplyDelete
  27. I surely do love your blog! What a great discovery. I am a bit disturbed that you don't get to try most of your amazing desserts to to lactose intolerance! How do you do it? I was wondering if you knew where I could find the granola breakfast cookie recipe? Do I need to buy the book? I am a bit poor so just wanted to make sure it wasn't around here somewhere. Thanks! Feel free to stop by my blog sometime!
    http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com/
    Kasha

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent idea to put your name on the photo's - I will definitely start doing that. Since you've told me about this, ANOTHER blogger has told me that my posts are being stolen on ANOTHER website, YIKES! I'm goign to try to get in touch with Dawn and see how she's dealing with it. Thanks again! Hope all is well,

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  29. My birthday is not until October, but I just realized that I did not celebrate my half birthday properly last month. I think I will make these cupcakes to make up for it. I'd better, because I will not be able to get them out of my mind until I do.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look amazing. And I love the liners!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I too am seriously in love with that peanut butter frosting!! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE your blog (found you via Elyse's blog). I am a displanted native Bay Arean (now in Texas) so I envy you for being by the bay :)

    These cupcakes make me both deliriously happy (chocolate and peanut butter are the bomb, esp. in cupcake form), but also crazy that I do not have one (two!) in hand.

    Brava :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I wanna be a baking rock star even if it's to a bunch of 10,12,& 13 yr olds so I'm going to give these bad boys a try! They really do look GOOD!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm really funny about peanut butter. I think that when Harry in "When Harry Met Sally" was talking about high-maintenance, that'd be me. I only like peanut butter in pb & j sandwiches, Nutter Butters, and Reese's cups, NOT pieces. So, I'm funny about peanut butter. That said, those cupcakes look crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  35. All your post look so delicious...especially those MS brownie cupcakes!! Have to make those soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your blog is tummy tempting.. Yuuuummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm not generally a fan of PB and chocolate, but I would so eat one of these!

    I like yourliners too :-)

    ReplyDelete