Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TWD: Double Chocolate Fix

So, I know this is not really Kosher, and we were just reminded about the TWD rules, but I did make the Four Star Chocolate Pudding on time, just work was so crazy last week I didn't get a chance to post. Then I figured the last thing ya'll wanted was another picture of a chocolate bread pudding (esp. since I was unable to make it look "cute" or whatever). But I did make it - and, yes, I kinda do want "credit," so this week's TWD post is a double-header.

First off, this week's Chocolate Cream Tart chosen by Kim of Scrumptious Photography. Kim has an amazing blog, and is one of the blogs that has gotten me into this photography kick where I just want to learn more and more (and keep buying more and more gear!). You can get the recipe from her blog here. So I went with the chocolate shortbread crust as suggested by Dorie, it was my first time making this crust and it was so easy, especially with my super duper Kitchenaid Food Processor.


I made the custard this evening (last minute Lorelei here), chilled it in the fridge for a few hours, then made my hubby taste a piece on his way out the door to pick up a friend from the airport so I could photograph it and blog about it before it wasn't Tuesday anymore (that's why hubby we couldn't wait till you both returned!). He LOVED it. He got the whipped cream topping on his - I didn't put it on the whole tart because then it doesn't last as long. I did add some caramel sauce on the bottom of the tart before adding the custard, and well, that didn't really work - it squirted all over the place and made a huge mess - so will not win a beauty contest, but does make the tart a little more turtle like. Great tart, thanks Kim.

As most of you know, last week's TWD was Four Star Chocolate Bread Pudding chosen by Lauren of Upper Eastside Chronicle. I made this in two disposable 8x8 baking tins so that I could give them away to two recipients, which I did, and used a brioche loaf that I picked up at a French bakery nearby. They were well recieved - after all the good press on this recipe, I am going to have to try this dairy free someday.

Check out the TWD blogroll here to see all the other TWD posts about these great chocolate desserts. Next month we are off the chocolate fixation until the end of the month, phew!

20 comments:

  1. Dairy free bread pudding...it could be our new thing? Everything looks great, Lorelei!! (Like, really, really great...and awesome way to incorporate text into your pics!) I'm a total chocolate fiend. I wish I could've been over at your place tonight so I could've gotten in on the tart action, too. Mathias is one lucky guy, but move over Mathias because I'm stepping in as your super taste tester this weekend :) So, the question now is whether you'll be able to stay awake until Mathias gets back from the airport. It's been an exhausting day...can't wait til the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice double post! A real feast for the chocolate lover! And I love how you added caramel to the tart... sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmmm! Chocolatey goodness - both dishes look amazing.

    PS I tagged you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chocolate and this cake is full of it...wonderful I'll surely try it.Cheers katia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Yum Give me some,....!!!!Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo, both desserts look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum to the chocolate and caramel combo. I really think that the chocolate tart is better when there's something to interrupt all of the chocolate goodness. The bread pudding looks awesome, too. I love the double post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NIce tart and bread pudding. Way to catch up and get them both done!! I am really tired of chocolate so let me tell you that Strawberry short cake was a nice breath of fresh air! I made it last night and it's so darn good I can't even begin to tell you how good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the chocolate tart at the absolute last minute too. It makes TWD so much more stressful when I'm posting at 9 pm :) Both your tart and your bread pudding look fantastic. I hope you can find a way to try the bread pudding someday because it was really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, both of these look incredible. I am really glad you posted both recipes because we all have super hectic weeks and deserve the credit for all the hard work. Thanks for sharing both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Popped in from Donnas! I LOVE your blog! That picture of Eeyore below is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) Good job on both of them.

    Though the caramel sauce made the tart a little messy I'm certain it added to it's yumminess.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the double chocolate post! That was a nice idea to put caramel under the chocolate, but I can see how it was a bit messy. But who cares? As long as it was good! I hope you got to try it ~

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to add caramel to the tart. I am going to TRY to make my tart tonight. Ugh, I am just so tired and crazy busy lately. I have the urge to bake something really fantastic, but then, I just get sidetracked. I want to make it for my hubby when gets home. Then, we are supposed to start a healthier diet. Wish us luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caramel sounds like a great addition to this delicious tart! You definitely deserve credit for the bread pudding; I'm intrigued by the dairy-free idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chocolate Bread Pudding AND Chocolate Tart. YUMMEEEE!!!!! Both look fantastic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on both. I added caramel to the top of my tart. The whole turtle idea would be SO good with some chopped pecans on top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seeing your double post reminds me of just how much chocolate we baked with last month! Smart girl to give so much of it away. The bread pudding was good, but the tart was out of this world! Yours both look deluxe.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete