Wednesday, April 15, 2009

TWD: Amaretti Torte - Better Late Than Never!


OK, I know, this post is a day late. I have a pretty good excuse, I do. OK, here it goes. I was planning on making this torte on Monday, but when I went to the store on my way home from work, they didn’t have any Amaretti cookies. So, I decided to wait until Tuesday so I could get the right cookies, since I live in North Beach, San Francisco (Italian neighborhood in case you don’t know it) and it would be a shame for me to use a substitute. I got the cookies Tuesday morning and went to work planning to squeeze in time to make this 15 minute torte later in the evening.






Well, that wasn’t in the cards baby. I woke up Tuesday morning with a mild back ache (I have a pesky lower back problem so that wasn’t all that much of a shock) and the pain just built more and more all day long. I finally had to leave work early to take medication and ice my back. By late evening, I could barely move and was in too much pain to do anything. I really really wanted to get up and make the torte (because it would make me feel better emotionally), but since I could not stand up straight, I thought that would be a bad idea.

My back was better this morning, but still in pretty bad shape, so I spent most of my day working and resting from my couch. Things are much better this evening (thank goodness) so I gingerly made this EASY quick torte (thankfully this week’s recipe was an easy one – thanks Holly). See – totally valid right?




Enough about me – that was really a lot, sorry – how about this torte. Well, I love almond flavored stuff, and LOVE Disaronno Amaretto. AND – I just recently learned that I do like chocolate after all! What? you say (if you have made it this far) how can anyone not like chocolate? Well, I didn’t for the longest time (and have met others like me, I swear). But last week I tried the most amazing chocolate bar I have ever had (cause I actually ate a LOT, and I won’t tell you what I did with other chocolate tasting experiments). What bar could pull me out of this controversial chocolate boycott? The Dark Orange Bar made by Andrew Shotts of Garrison Confections. My good friend happens to be well connected to Mr. Shotts, and introduced me to this fabulous bar. Not only did I get to try this bar, but I also got an autographed cookbook and may get a private baking lesson (OMG!!!!!!!!!!!).

So, all of that to say that since I recently discovered dark chocolate goodness, I decided to make this week’s TWD cake – Dark Chocolate Amaretti Torte lactose free so I could eat it. To do so, I substituted the butter for margarine, and cream for soy creamer. And, IT WORKED! Oh baby it did. The cake was soooo yummy, and you could really taste the amaretti. And the glaze turned out really well, nice and smooth, and nice and velvety and rich. Since soy creamer is already sweet and more watered down than regular cream, I added only one tablespoon of sugar (instead of 2) and only one tablespoon of water (and replaced the second one with a tablespoon of soy creamer). It worked, my trusty taster husband is back and he said: AWESOME! I am so glad I made this, and will be making this again for sheezy.


Thanks Holly of PheMOMenon for choosing this delicious recipe. You can find the recipe on her amazing blog here.

26 comments:

  1. This is a must try for me!! I will take better late than never!! YUMMY...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when the dog eats the homework! jk!
    The torte IS yummy and yours looks great. Awesome subs. Hope your back is feeling better. (I have back issues too, so I'm right there with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a trooper!! Hope you are feeling much better. The torte looks fabulous. Love the little mini cake...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, there is nothing like back problems! You are great for going ahead. I love the ridginess of your torte. It looks like a Reese's PB Cup. Welcome to the I LOVE CHOCOLATE club! We are so happy to have you. Take care and that is so cool about the private lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Private lessons? Really? How super-cool is that!

    While the torte/cake wasn't too popular at my house, I am so glad to hear you joined the chocolate club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm - I love how the chocolate is oozing over the side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your back feels better! The cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when my back goes out! The days go soooo slowly. Fabulous torte though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your back is feeling better really soon!! Lower back pain is the worst.

    Your torte looks perfect! I can't believe you didn't like chocolate until recently. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like chocolate :) Glad you enjoyed the torte so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absloutely decadent. This is on my must try list. Wish I had one with my coffee bout now..

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMMM...It looks fabulously yummie 8)!! You have done a great job!
    What beautiful pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Batter later than never your cake looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that looks good!! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your torte looks fantastic. I'm glad your back is feeling better. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good but seriously HOW COOL is that?! Private lessons?! Very jealous!

    Btw, I'm not into chocolate either. Vanilla girl all the way, baby! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! I HATE back pain!!!!! Anyway, I am so glad you were able to make this - your torte looks awesome! Thanks for baking along with me this week! I hope you are feeling much, much better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hope you are up and about and feeling good! great looking torte--i loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this looks incredible. I love the chocolate dripping down the sides...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, sorry to hear about your back. I suffer from lower back pain too, so I know exactly how debilitating it can be (amazing how someone who has never really had bad back pain thinks it is all a big fuss over nothing). I have found clinical pilates very helpful to strengthen my core muscles (less easily injured, quicker recovery), just in case this is something you haven't tried. LOL that you didn't like chocolate until now - you'll be hooked now!! Great looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can just imagine how rich and decadent that is! yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay!! I'm so glad that you loved this torte. It sounds absolutely fabulous, and I love how easily you were able to make it lactose free. Perfect! Did I tell you that I'm having Lorelei-withdrawals? I feel like I haven't really talked to you in forever. It's quite unacceptable. Planning to rectify this tomorrow. Hope you had a great day with the hubs in Wine Co!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry about your back; you're totally excused, no points off! In fact you get extra points for making that beautiful torte and converting it to lactose free! And yay that you had no trouble finding the cookies (and that your back is improved!)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the shape of yours! and glad you've been converted to a chocolate lover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks too good to eat. But I will eat it anyway if you care to share. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just stopping by to say thanks for the comment on my torte.

    I know that you made the torte, but that first pic looked kinda like a giant, big-as-your-head peanut butter cup. I heard a resounding, "Mwaaaahhhh" from the food center of my brain.

    I don't think I'll get the image, nor my brain's reaction out of my system for some time. I suddenly feel a mad scientist-ic urge to create my own monster...peanut butter cup that is! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete