Monday, April 20, 2009

The Cake Slice: Chai Cake with Honey Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting



So, I recently joined another baking group (yeah, might be a little excessive at this point, but so much fun!). Thanks to awesome Cassie of How to Eat a Cupcake, I was directed to the powers that be of The Cake Slice who kindly let me join the group. I was thrilled when I learned that the first cake I would get to participate with was the Chai Tea Cake. I LOVE Chai Tea and my husband does as well. So, I set out to make this cake lactose free so I could have it, even though the frosting was a Honey Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting. As you can see from the picture above, non-dairy fake cream cheese does not produce the most attractive frosting in the world - so I'd say these pictures certainly wouldn't win a beauty contest and don't do the cake justice.






The cake was AMAZING though. Sooooo yummy. The cake was moist and light and fluffy. The cardamon flavor really shone through. And while I was a little disappointed by the Tofutti cream cheese substitute taste, my husband thought it tasted just fine in the end. I did have to add extra freshly grated ginger and cardamon to the frosting to mask the weird taste of the Tofutti.


If you want the recipe (and I highly recommend it), you should check out the great book Sky High, or you can get it from Cassie's blog - with the added bonus of cake truffle how to!

27 comments:

  1. I love Chai. This cake sounds wonderful! I am glad you were able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version of thie cake is awesome. And now you have me wanting to join another group. Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been tempted to join this group every month when they post their cakes :) I haven't taken the plunge yet but might eventually! Your cake looks wonderful! I'm always so impressed that you find ways to adapt things so you can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake was sooo yummy glad you made it lactose free so you could have some too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I"ve been reading all the raves about this cake. I'm glad you were able to make a successful dairy free cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fake cream cheese, huh?
    i am a firm believer that the messiest looking desserts are the best ones, so no worries!
    i can't imagine how good chai tastes in cake form.... yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks just delicious. I am sure your adaptations were wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, this cake looks delicious! I'm so happy you were able to eat some. I can't believe you joined another baking group. You're crazy, Lorelei (and that is why I love you :) ). Maybe we should start planning our get-togethers around your kitchen; I think you're going to have pleeeenty of baking on your plate for a while. Oh, in case you were wondering, the tremors from my Lorelei-withdrawal are still hitting me full force.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, Cassie is awesome!

    Your cake looks good. I like that it looks like the frosting/glaze has soaked into the cake. Mmmmm! Love the last photo, too.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Cake Slice and I must say you did good on your 1st cake. I loved this recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a cake sounds and looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you find substitutions when necessary.

    I think I will make this cake for my final cake in my Wilton class...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the links! :D And all that honey in the frosting didn't help to make it stable! The recipe needs some work, but it looks delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yeh.. that looks good!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the cake. pity the frosting wasn't thick enough for most people. Still it was delicious wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That last picture is to DIE for. That looks so moist and DEEEliscious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh girl Chai tea is my very favorite thing in the world. I drink one about every day and have a horrible habit of stopping off at my fav. coffee joint. I spend way to much money. I love BIG TRAIN CHAI..it's the best in my book.
    OK on to the cake..it looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it someday.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a newbie too! Your cake looks great. I like the glaze drizzling down the center...mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you this cake was yummy and the cardamom smelled so good! Welcome to the group.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm boy does that look good! What a perfect flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So how many baking groups do you belong to Lorelei? But aren't they fun. I didn't get to make this even tho' chai is my all time favorite tea and otherwise. And as long as it tastes yummy, looks don't count. But it does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is a great looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hehe I'll definitely be your friend!
    I love the height and look of this cake, it looks moist and delicious, despite the icing! I really really love chai tea, so I am certain I would like the flavour of this cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUMMMY!! I didn't make today's IronCupcake Challenge either. Had a client order a cake and had to head home!!! Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, a chai cake...i would have never thought to turn the chai flavour into a cake, but it looks and sounds just delicious. I think if i made something this high it would be destined to topple over!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, those are some fabulous looking flavors there! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete