Sunday, April 26, 2009

SMS: Granola Breakfast Cookies

This week's Sweet Melissa recipe was chosen by one of my favorite bloggers, Jessica from A Singleton in the Kitchen. The recipe is Granola Breakfast Cookies, and uses the cherry almond granola recipe in the book (a delicious double whammy). You can get the recipe on Jessica's terrific blog here. Before getting on with my comments on this week's recipe, allow me to introduce you to my SMS mascot - Bumble Bee Eeyore. As explained by the great Elyse in her out of this world post today, SMS grew out of my terrible Sunday blues (while I am nicknamed eeyore, he's in full force on Sundays). So when I saw this Eeyore on ebay, I HAD to have him, right? So perfect. Anyway, you'll be seing more of him in the Sundays to come.


Back to the baking, this week's recipe is a perfect example of why I love baking clubs and this awesome world of baking blogs. Things have been a little a hectic around here, so I was going to use store bought granola, because I didn't know where to get all the ingredients for the granola and had never made it before. But, having read all the comments from the other great SMS bakers, many of whom liked the granola more than the cookies, I thought, this is what the club is all about - doing things I wouldn't ordinarily do.


So, it turned out to be a great Sunday afternoon, making this delicious cherry almond granola (with cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds). In between all the stirring, I ran back to my computer to catch up on my google reader - almost below 100 now! More about the granola later when its time to post that recipe. But I must say thanks to Wendy of Pinkstripes for her real time assistance with my granola making questions. Wendy is quite the baker and I am so honored she joined SMS, and gave me a little coaching.



The cookies were delicious in my opinion. I love molasses spice cookies alot, so I knew I had to make these dairy free so I could have some. I did add in more spices than just the cinnamon because I love baking spices, so I added ginger, nutmeg and allspice (these were all in the granola too, so I knew it would work well together). The result, a nice chewy molasses spice cookie with crunchy goodness and delicious dried fruit. Since this is a breakfast cookie (made with whole wheat flour), I think it's totally Kosher to eat these for breakfast. That's what I plan on doing this week. Check out the rest of the SMS bakers and the yummy cookies they cooked up here. Thanks Jessica, I think you TOTALLY picked a winner =)

24 comments:

  1. Your cookies look totally fabulous!! I love that you added the extra spices...more proof that we're kindred spirits. We should get t-shirts that say something corny on them like "Spicy." (You can tell I'm tired, right? Okay, I admit it...I'm that cheesy.) Alrighty, let me sum it up: (1) I love Eeyore (soon to be named something cute); (2) your granola looks yummy; (3) your cookies look delicious; (4) your photos look STELLAR; and (5) I cannot cannot cannot wait to bake with you on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMMM...Those cookies look so delicious! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies looks perfect and healthy to beat. Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look great and I love your Eeyore toy!. I am not sure I am going to make these cookies based on the mixed reviews, but way to go for stepping out of your comfort zone and making something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies and granola look fantastic, as does our wonderful new mascot. LOVE HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeyore was always my favorite character - and to have him dressed in a bumble bee costume is just too cute.

    Great cookies - and so glad you could make them dairy free for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies and your granola look terrific Lorelei! Eeyore was always my favorite too and Bumble Bee Eeyore is just the cutest! I think he's the perfect SMS mascot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't tell you for how long I've had breakfast cookies on my list to make. I need to move them to the top after seeing this. I love these types of cookies, they don't give you that sugar crash hours later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im glad you liked the cookies. They look great and so does your granola.
    Eeyore is to cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bumblebee Eeyore is too cute! What a great mascot. I'm really glad that you liked these cookies and I'm 100% behind the breakfast cookie assessment. They're way too healthy for me to have after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, wait, these look good, but then I saw your nutella biscotti post. Can I, um, eat the nutella biscotti cookies for breakfast? Is there any flexibility here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm glad the granola was a success for you. Your cookies look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Well if they're good enough for eeyore than they're good enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used store-bought granola and thought they were good, so I'm excited to try making the cookies again when the granola recipe pops up! I'll just start looking for the ingredients now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Bumble Bee Eeyore! And your cookies look wonderful- I'm happy you were able to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awh, Eeyore is so cute in his bee suit!! Perfect for SMS :D

    Your cookies look lovely, can't wait to get back into the swing of things on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute! The cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one of the recipes from that book I've been wanting to make but just haven't made it to yet. Looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmmm they look yummy and the eeyore is very cute :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg my google reader has me SWAMPED! I feel like I'll never catch up! Lol

    What a cute mascot for SMS... another awesome group I wish I had time to join! Aahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delicious!! And Eeyore is so cute - I can see why you had to have him.

    ReplyDelete