Sunday, April 19, 2009

SMS: Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling


This week's Sweet Melissa recipe was chosen by Tracey of the AMAZING blog, Tracey's Culinary Adventures. You should check out her awesome kitchen adventures and can get this week's recipe for Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling here.

I was looking forward to this recipe (even though I couldn't try it because as far as I know there is no non-dairy ricotta substitute) because I have never made turnovers before and never worked with puff pastry (I know where have I been?!). I enjoyed making these, but did think it was a bit of work for only 4 turnovers. Since I did quite a lot of baking this weekend, I only baked one of the turnovers to give to my trusty taster and froze the rest before baking as the recipe suggested.

I didn't have time to let the ricotta drain overnight, and since some of my great fellow SMS bakers (you can - and should - check out the blogroll here) did the overnight drill but didn't actually extract any liquid from the ricotta I thought it was OK to skip. What I did instead was put the ricotta in the cheese cloth and then squeezed the liquid out of it - and got a fair amount out. That's about all I did differently (oh and I did not chill the turnover before baking).


I had a little trouble the caramel apples, when I put the apples into the amber sugar and water mixture, the caramel turned to a hard lump. It eventually melted, but it took awhile. I also had a little trouble with the puff pastry, which turned from easy to work with to very elastic and sticky rather quickly. I think next time, I will keep some of the pieces in the freezer while I assemble the others to avoid that problem. So of course, the last turnover (an most "melted" puff pastry square) was the one I ended up baking (and photographing for this post). I am convinced the ones sitting in the freezer would have turned out better photographs!!!



I also just realized while reading Tracey's post about these turnovers that I forgot to cut the steam slits - oh well, they didn't explode! Hubby loved these and gave them an enthusiastic two thumbs up. He didn't really taste the ricotta and was surprised when I told him there was cheese in them - he said the caramel apple was the strongest flavors. Humf! Well, there you have it. Thanks Tracey for picking this recipe and giving me a chance to try out some new skills.


21 comments:

  1. Your turnover looks lovely! Bummer you couldn't have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came out beautifully.. Looks like hard work, but I bet it was so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW those olives sound amazing!! The whole salad is perfect for the season. It is a spring time salad with extremely fresh flavors. Sounds delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your turnover looks fantastic Lorelei! Sorry I picked a recipe you couldn't eat. That's just mean of me! I'm so glad you decided to make these even if you weren't able to eat one. Puff pastry can definitely be a bit tricky to work with but looks like you did great! Thanks for baking with me this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza, this looks delish!! Bravo! I love ricotta anything! Too bad you couldn't try it but I understand as I'm dieting (trying to lose baby weight - gave birth 4 months ago) but I stil have other family to feed so I bake all the time and I never try it but they do and they LOVE it.

    I gotta try this!

    Jenifer
    J&J DISH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your turnovers look great and I'm glad they were a success with your husband (I'm glad he's back, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! your turnovers look great. I was drooling over the half finished picture. Such a shame there's no none dairy ricotta substitute, must be so frustrating not being able to eat your creations.

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad you couldn't try them - but I agree with your husband that the apples were the dominant flavor. Still really good though - next time try them with pie crust (then you can eat them!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The trick is to make more turnovers. Then instead of thinking that was a lot of work for only 4 turnovers, you magically think that wasn't much work for 18 turnovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to give these a try as a matter of fact I really need to get that book. I've looked it over but must not have been paying attention.

    Great job!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm turnover - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great looking turnovers! They were so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you overcame the little problems just fine, the turnovers look great. I think this recipe was a good learning experience and will be a lot easier the second time around. Sorry you couldn't sample them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did an awesome job on these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the turnovers. Too bad you couldn't try them (what about making it w/o ricotta next time?).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your turnovers look delicious! Sorry you didn't get to try them but glad you got a positive review from your husband. My husband absolutely loved these (w/out the ricotta) and I will be making them again for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I think your turnover looked great. The puff pastry was a little tricky but you're right - freezing does make a difference. Thanks again for starting this wonderful group.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it so great that your taste tester is home?! Yay!! So glad Mathias loved these. Yours look great! Hope you had a productive day today--can't wait to hear about the house shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. MMMMMM...this looks great & absolutely beautiful!!
    In Ductch, in Belgium we call this an " appelflap "I love that you have added ricotta to it! What a lovely twist!!

    ReplyDelete