Sunday, April 12, 2009

SMS: Brooklyn Brownout Cake


This week's sweet for the Sweet Melissa Sunday group was the Brooklyn Brownout Cake chosen by the amazing person/blogger Elyse of Elyse's Confectionary Creations. You can find the recipe for this chocolate lover's dream cake here.



I was super happy that Elyse chose this cake for this week. I had plans to go to Bass Lake, near Yosemite, with my good friend Jen for Easter weekend (my last weekend sans hubby who comes home on Tuesday - hercules, hercules [clap, clap]). Jen's super cool parents (Big Dave and Barbara) have a nice big and cozy house near the lake and kindly allowed Jen to take me up there for the weekend. Jen is my super reliable sweet taster and she sure knows her sweets. She also told me that Big Dave loves his sweets too and would be more than happy to taste a chocolate cake. She was right!




So, Elyse's selection was a perfect way for me to say thank you for Jen and her family's hospitality (Thanks Elyse). I decided to bake the cake up there with Jen instead of making it before hand. Jen and Barbara kindly allowed me to take over (and make a mess) in the kitchen and help me (OK do all) of the clean-up. Sweet deal right? Now, I am a pretty anal baker, and generally prefer to bake in my own kitchen - as small as it is - because then I have COMPLETE control and reign supreme. So, there was a little bit of tension when I snapped at Jen's husband for trying to eat some of the perfectly measured 12 oz of dark chocolate for the ganache! I am sure they thought I was being a tad overboard, and I was (kinda), and they didn't really buy my "baking is a science" explanation to my outburst. Jen's husband also really wanted to eat the brownies I brought for the filling/topping, but Jen managed to disuade him by telling him they were frozen. Luckily, the amount of chocolate they got to eat with the finished produced made up for my in-progress stinginess!

Brownies you say? That's right, this cake called for a tripple threat of chocolate. A dense chocolate cake (that seemed more brownie like than devil's food like), brownies, and a dark chocolate ganache. The recipe calls for four brownies and the book suggests making ahead of time for another purpose and saving 4 in the freezer to make this cake (which I did). The brownies are then crumbled (along with the cake layer scraps after leveling) and mixed with the ganache to form the filling in between the layers. And if that wasn't enough, I felt I had to give the cake a little Easter flare, so I decorated the top with the brownie crumble (per the recipe) and Reese's chocolate peanut butter eggs. Chocolate overload. As you can see from the photos, I chose not to try and put the brownie crumble around the edges of the cake to keep the cake looking elegant and sleek (I didn't like how my TWD cake with crumble on the sides turned out).


The verdict? Jen and her family loved it. Big Dave happily ate a huge piece, and sucessfuly lobbied to have the left over cake stay behind. He also said I could come back and visit anytime! Jen said it was super rich (so much so it could kill a small dog) but that it was super yummy. A success. The cake does take some foresight (making the brownies ahead of time) and melting A LOT of chocolate. This is not for the weak of heart, but could capture the hearts of your serious chocolate lovers. Can't wait for next week. Check out how the other Sweet Melissa Sunday bakers did here. And thank you Jen, Brian, Big Dave and Barbara for the great weekend.

30 comments:

  1. YAY!! I'm so glad everyone liked it. I would've snapped at Jen's husband, too :) No one messes with a baker and her measurements. Oh, we'd work great in the kitchen together. I'm so glad you had such a great weekend, Lorelei!! And, p.s. Hercules, Hercules--I've been using that expression forever!! I love doing the impression with the simultaneous clapping of the hands. Nutty Professor = awesome. Just more proof that we're kindred spirits. Okay, I'm not going to make a long email out of this post. Let me sum up: so glad you had a great weekend and that you've been invited back to visit any time you want; so glad everyone enjoyed the cake; the cake looks AMAZING; love your decorations. Phew, breathe, talk to you soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wishing I had a piece of that cake tonight! It was so good and I'm so happy you had fun with the fam this weekend--They absolutely adored you. I'm going to call Big Dave tomorrow and see how many fights they had last night about him eating more of the cake...hah! Plus, for Brian to eat a whole piece of cake, it had to be good. He's not really a cake guy and he won't eat something simply to make the baker happy. Bravo!
    xoxo, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic. I love all the chocolate and the thick frosting layers.. to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, looks fantastic Lorelei! I love the way you decorated the top with the reese's eggs and the brownie crumbles! I give you a lot of credit for baking in someone else's kitchen...I'm way too controlling :) Glad the cake was enjoyed by all! I thought it was good too, though VERY rich so a few bites was plenty for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that looks crazy rich! I can't believe it has brownies for the filling - sounds intense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pb chocolate combo - you can never go wrong with that!

    What a nice dessert to make for a weekend away, and I am the same way when I am baking - no one can touch anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip.. the lake, sweet chocolate cake and good friends, sounds nice to me! Your cake looks so good and Im glad everyone enjoyed it. I will have to make this cake sometime!
    Thanks for the encourgement on my first CASA cake. It's going good so far other then the H&W office will not call me back=(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks gorgeous. I love the reese's eggs on top. I'm glad it was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everybody's cake looks so different and delicious. Your cake is no exception! I could definitely go for a slice\.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Reese's eggs on top! My husband would have loved that. He's a big PB and chocolate fan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake looks absolutely gorgeous! I had to laugh at your comments about baking outside of your comfort zone because I'm right there with you! Even when I'm in my own kitchen I get twitchy when people are walking in and out and invading my space or eating ingredients. It sounds like the cake was the perfect way to say thanks for a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, that is one good looking cake, me want some NOW! Seriously, I'm going to try this, it looks SO good. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awh, I love the eggs on the top! You're cake looks amazing. My boyfriend kept trying to eat the chocolate too, had to throw him an early easter egg in the end :)

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMMMMM....Looks really yummie 8)!!!
    What a great job you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'm getting a cavity just lookin at the thing!!! I think it would be great with a tall cold glass of milk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks perfect! I love the addition of the Reese's chocolate peanut butter eggs - so decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow yours looks adorable! i'm loving those reese's eggs on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG - I have died and gone to chocolate heaven! What an amazing cake. I love the eggs around the top - a nice touch for Easter. Glad you enjoyed your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your decoration with the chocolate eggs (can never have too much chocolate :o)). Thanks again for setting this baking club. I had a blast making this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how your cake is all dressed up for Easter. I'm impressed you were able to bake it in another kitchen; that can be super-stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks so sinfully deadly. But oh so good. I want a piece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum - looks amazing and I love the Reese's eggs on top! Very cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know that at around 2 this afternoon I will be craving a slice of that cake. Looks absolutely delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your version of this cake looks outstanding (no where near the mess I ended up with because of a messed up oven). I hope to get back on the ball with this Sunday's apple treat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This cake is fabulous! I think it's great you were able to bake in someone else's kitchen. I'm an anal baker too but I feel so uncomfortable in someone else's kitchen. I hope your back is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! that looks so delicious. I am tempted to join the Sweet Melissa Baking Group, but I'm not sure that I have the time! I will watch with interest though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so amazing. I'm based out of the Sf area to how cool. Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This cake looks INSANE. It's like all of my favorite desserts rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did a great job on the decoration of the cake love the crumbled brownie bits & chocolate eggs around the top.

    I'm kinda funny about my "stuff" when baking,too. Like you everyone is usually okay with it after they get a taste (& piece of whatever I was baking. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Sweet Pea:
    That cake looked too good. Yum Yum. You know my weakness for chocolate. I am glad you started baking after you left home or I would be one fat mama! Sadly, all the diet cakes I've tried taste very dry.
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete