Thursday, April 9, 2009

Me Cupcakes

So, I was having a major Eeyore day yesterday. I had to go back to work after a lovely long weekend with my family, my family left to go back to LA, and my husband is not coming home for another whole week (I am beginning to forget who he is … Just kidding hubby, but seriously, three weeks is FOREVER).

So, I was majorly in need of a baking session to cheer me up. And, because I was feeling like such a sourpuss, I decided to make something that I wanted that I could eat. I was inspired by a snack I made for myself this weekend that really took me back to my childhood – honey and peanut butter sandwiches. I used to get these for my sandwiches sometimes, and boy did I love them. So, I decided to make lactose free honey & peanut mini cupcakes (lactose free).

I did a Google search before setting out on this project and was quickly reminded of Peabody’s delicious looking Honey Cupcakes. I decided to use her recipe for the honey cupcakes (since she is such an amazing baker and blogger) and my standard peanut butter frosting – Kathleen’s Peanut Butter Frosting from Ina Garten (and make it lactose free). I tasted one of the little cakes before frosting and they were nice and moist (and dense) and had a hint of honey. I had a little trouble making the peanut butter frosting lactose free because the soy creamer I used did not do a good stand in for the regular cream (so it was too liquid). I had to add more powdered sugar to make it the right consistency and even then, it was not as smooth and pretty as the dairy version. It still tasted great though.

I really wanted the honey flavor to come through, so even though it made these SUPER sticky, I drizzled them with honey and topped with easter inspired sprinkles. This morning, when I woke up to try them, the honey had soaked into the peanut butter frosting (and dripped all over the place). So, these are heavy on the peanut butter flavor and the honey is a subtle flavor. I love them - sweet white cupcake with creamy peanut butter frosting - yum (but, a little worried about what work will think, but can't keep 40+ mini cupcakes here). You DEFINATELY need some milk or coffee with these!



Honey Cupcakes

[Culinary Concoctions by Peabody]

½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup creamed honey
¾ cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups self rising flour

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, and honey. Beat for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, scrape down sides after blended. Add in vanilla and beat for another 30 seconds.

Starting with the flour first, alternate between flour and milk, ending with flour. So 1/3 of flour, ½ of milk, 1/3 of flour, ½ milk, 1/3 flour. Blend until fully combined.

Fill cupcake pan (with or without liners) 2/3 of the way full with batter. Fill until all batter is used.

Bake for 20-22 minutes (for regular cupcakes, about 16 minutes for mini cupcakes).

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes in pan. Then remove from pan and place on a wire rack to finish cooling. Cool completely before frosting.

Kathleen's Peanut Butter Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

21 comments:

  1. Yummy. These are so cute and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better after a few of these Lorelei :) They look fabulous! I've made that peanut butter frosting and it is sooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute and I adore Eeyore!!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who cares what work will think, these sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look wonderful! I hope you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. peanut butter frosting always makes me happy. and cupcakes, any flavor can always put a smile on my face right after the first bite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have peanut butter and honey sandwiches too when I was a kid! I still enjoy an occasional one once in a blue moon!
    The cupcake version looks delicious, and I am sure they helped console you... I am certain it is true that absence makes the heart grow fonder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope tomorrow is a better day & that your honey comes home soon! Three weeks IS a long time.

    I'm certain your co-workers will devour the cupcakes. They look good I really don't like peanut butter when there isn't any chocolate to go along with it!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY GAH! These look amazing. We really must be kindred spirits, Lorelei. PB and honey was one of my favorite sandwiches growing up (okay, it still is). There's something about the combination that is just heavenly. Your cupcakes are just precious! I'm so glad you made them so that you could actually enjoy them. I think I could eat waaaay too many of these! Great pictures! And I just love Eeyore in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great Lorelei - so cute, and what a great flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Honey and peanut butter sounds like a match made in heaven!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pb and honey is a great combination. And nothing says :cheer me up: like 40+ cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pb/honey more than pb/jam. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peanut Butter and honey must be delicious.. love the combo and they look gorgeous!! GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look very yummy - I'm sure work will love them :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope Eeyore got at least one! What a great original recipe - and they look scrumptious. Baking does help the heart when it is missing people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm, your cupcakes just reminded me that I used to mix honey and peanut butter and spread on toast... yum!

    Your cupcakes look wonderfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honey cupcakes with pb frosting?! Sounds good to me! Did you save me one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing like comfort food for those blah days, right? Your cupcakes look good! When my older daughter was young, once she tasted PB+honey, there was no going back to jelly for her! Smitten Kitchen posted a honey cake about 6 months ago that looked honey-intense, but I don't know how it would do for cupcakes.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete