Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TWD: Lemon Cup Custard


Bridget, from the blog The Way the Cookie Crumbles, chose Dorie’s Lemon Cup Custard for TWD this week. I went with the traditional lemon version and baked them in kinda large corningware baking dishes. I was glad to be able to return to TWD after my work induced hiatus, but I was a little disappointed because of all the talk (mostly negative) on the comment board. I decided to forge ahead and check it out anyway, because that's the point kinda of baking things you wouldn't normally bake, and my husband and I do like flan and custards.

Unfortunately, our reviews match many of those on the comment board. Despite putting a zest of a whole lemon in a half batch, and adding a lot of lemon extract - the lemon taste was mild and the egginess overpowering. We didn't love it to be honest and since we are trying to diet for our Mexico trip in may, decided to let it go.


One cool thing that came out of this experiment though, was how well Trader Joe's Soy Creamer performed in place of the whole milk. Soy milk has such a light consistency, it is often not a great substitute for recipes that call for cream or whole milk. This soy creamer, however, tastes really good (sweet tasting already though) and cooked up nicely. I though the consistency of the custard turned out as it should have. So, this is great news to lactose intollerant ole me, and I will keep a few of these soy creamers in the fridge in case I want to opt for a lactose free version of something I am baking.


Till next week.

7 comments:

  1. Well, you tried, right? I got nervous after reading all the P & Q comments and baked some lemon cakes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you tried :) It wasn't my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, wasn't my favorite either. It was fun trying though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still glad we all tried it, even if it wasn't our favorite. And thanks for the tip on the TJ's soy creamer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was decent, but it wasn't spectacular, like most of Lorelei's baking. The egg flavor was dominant, which didn't seem quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't trader joes just the best? I keep writing to the company hoping and begging they will open one closer than an hour away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fantastic!! I am Lactose intolerant too!! But I don not know if I can buy a substitute as that in Brussels, Belgium!!!
    But I can buy semi-skimmed milk lactose free & that milk tastes fab!! I can also buy real buuter with no lactose in it & lactose free cream!!

    ReplyDelete