Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD: Coconut Butter Thins


This weeks recipe was Coconut Butter Thins chosen by Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch. You can find the recipe after her hilarious and fun post here. Her post makes me wish I had little kitchen helpers.

So, I was multi-tasking big time when making these cookies. Making yummy oatmeal caramel bars, french toast mini cupcakes (posts forth coming) watching Food Network Cake Challenge - the only TV I really watch, and reading your lovely blogs. So, there were a few - oversights. I forgot the cardamon, I forgot the fork hole punching, and I didn't use a ruler. So, I had cookies of all shapes and sizes, it was not the prettiest batch of cookies I must admit. And, since I have yet to try shortbread with lactose free margarine (I mean aren't these really all about the butter) I couldn't taste them.

So, I dusted them with powdered sugar to hide the blemishes and make them look a little fancier - I am a little picky about what goes to work, I have a reputation to uphold! They were all gone when I walked by the kitchen in the afternoon. Didn't hear a peep from anyone about how they tasted though (I need to get better about demanding feedback in return for sweets), but I know many other TWD'ers liked them.

I also packed up some of the cookies to send to my good friend Jesse who is very techno savy - he created the website Walkscore that lets you rate the walkability of many many neighborhoods in the U.S. It is a really cool site and useful when moving. Anyhow, he helped me set up the avatar for the Sweet Melissa Sundays Group and I wanted to thank him. So a care-package with these and the oatmeal caramel bars are on their way. Thanks Jesse.




31 comments:

  1. I think they sound delicious and I will make these when I am able to mix them up the way the directions tell you to! A lot of arm work there that I can't do right now...And the disappearing act? Well that ought to tell you right there they liked em.. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look great all wrapped up in the cellophane - bet your friend loved them. I also figure that they disappeared from the work kitchen was a clear indicator that they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Jesse is going to get a kick butt thank you care package! The cookies were delicious and I'm so glad I made 'em. Hope everyone enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cute packaging! Your friends are incredibly lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies look so pretty with the powdered sugar on top and then wrapped up and ready to go. I think that these cookies are so good but they're sort of quietly yummy, not overwhelmingly, so that's probably why you didn't hear too much about them.
    I'm going to check out your friend's website, it sounds very cool and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend is really lucky to get a package of these divine cookies. They look delicious!

    Sounds like you had a busy weekend in the kitchen...can't wait to read about them (very curious to hear about the french toast mini cupcakes).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im sure Jesse will set up any design for you if you keep bringing him those yummy homebaked treats!
    We love that Food Network Cake Challenge too. It's so fun to watch and amazing what they can do. I want to see one fall someday..rotten of me, I know ;)
    Your cookies look super and Im glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your cookies look wonderful with powdered sugar on them! Can't wait to see all of the other goodies you baked! I'm really looking forward to our first Sweet Melissa Sundays this week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cookies look great, the powdered sugar is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you really dressed them up! I know I'd be frustrated if I couldn't taste something I baked and no one told me how it was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies look good. Can I just whisper something in your ear? While the cookies ARE good, you didn't miss out on much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great with the powdered sugar. What a wonderful thank you gift!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cookies look so lovely all packaged up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cookies look great. Funny that you dressed them up with powdered sugar - I've definitely done that before as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I love that you sent Jesse these cookies; what a sweet reward for him setting up your AWESOME group. I guess you know that I'm just now getting around to blog commenting...eek, it's been a while! Your coconut butter thins look delicious. Were you able to taste any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The powdered sugar on your cookies make them look delightful and elegant. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I think I would love these cookies. So buttery looking! Terrific job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These cookies look so very delicious!! LOVE coconut!! I could use a few right now with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Powdered sugar hides any little mistake! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cookies look wonderful! I love the powdered sugar on top.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The powdered sugar just made them look elegant. Love the package stack.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm ... your cookies look luscious. I wish they could travel through cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you dusted them! Woo hoo! They look perfectly fine to me and maybe one of these days you can also send me a batch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look lovely, very delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  25. coconut? did someone say coconut? I can't make enough baked goods with coconut. I simply must try these! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Powdered sugar makes these cookies absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe I missed these. I love coconut. Hopefully there can be a repeat performance.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow these seem so yummy!!!! I guess I must go and buy some coconut since I ran out when making my coconut cake. I stumbled upon your blog through someone's blog. I have joined because your blog has so many yummy things I want to try!!!! I have joined, I hope you can stop by my blog and if you like what you see, I hope you will join as well. I will let you know when I make these! Can't Wait!

    PS: I love your Mermaid! I just posted a mermaid jewelry box I painted!

    Sweetest Dreams,
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete