Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TWD: Blueberry Crumb Cake


OMG! I mean HOLY COW!!! I am over the moon about this week's TWD. I made it with dairy free margarine and soymilk (plus vinegar) so I could eat it because I LOVE blueberry cakes and muffins and yogurt and jam - OK anything blueberry. And WOW, I am in love. I will no longer feel like a poor pathetic deprived lactose intolerant sole. Oh no, from now on, when I start to feel a little left out and jealous that I can't eat most of what I bake, and have to live vicariously through my faithful eaters, I will just make this week's TWD cake - Blueberry Crumb Cake.


This week's recipe was chosen by Sihan of Befuddlement and you can get the recipe on her lovely blog. Thank you thank you thank you Sihan.

The cake was a bit of a miracle because I set the timer to 55 minutes, but then forgot to turn it on. I was just sitting at my computer reading blogs, when I felt that something was wrong and darted into the kitchen. Yep, sure enough, I forgot to turn the timer on. Luckilly the cake was not done yet, but then it was a series of a little bit more, check, a little bit more, check, etc. And, thankfully, it came out AMAZING. We ate it when it was still a tad bit warm. It had a nice crust on the sides, delicous topping (I made some changes) and was nice an fluffy in the center with big juicy blueberrys and not too sweet. Perfect!


My husband's narrative: I really only wanted 2 bites, and then one more, and then one more, and then it was gone and I still wanted more - I will call this the blueberry cake "el diablo." Work reviews were also really good - and they disappeared in record time even though I put them out at an off time - 10:30 am (give or take).

My changes were as follows. Margarine and soymilk plus apple cider vinegar in place of the dairy. Then for the topping, I added 1/4 cup ground graham crackers, pecans instead of walnuts, dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar, and added a little cinnamon and nutmeg. I think the graham crackers helped soak up some of the extra margarine (will cut back on that next time as there was a pool on top of the cake while cooking) and the taste was subtle, but went well with the pecans. Hope that still counts as making the recipe this week. But the topping was amazing, like a butter pecan crumble with a twist. Oh and I used frozen blueberries - they tasted great.

As always, check out what the other TWD'ers did here.

24 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks so delicious, Lorelei!! I love that your soymilk and dairy free margarine worked out so well. I think I could eat way too much of this cake in one sitting--way too dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done, your cake looks delicious !! love the idea off soymilk and dairy free margarine too , it sounds more waistline friendly ;-)) well done !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks terrific - it was meant to be, even if the timer nearly put things off track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I like the idea of using graham crackers in the topping. I bet your husband's coworkers love tasting your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative! It looks like your cake turned out great dairy free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay - I'm so glad you were able to adapt this cake so you could enjoy it too! It's so delicious and yours looks wonderful! I made a cranberry version but I can't wait to try blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blueberry cake "el diablo" is such a great name for this cake! I am so glad that you were able to make a dairy free version and I'm doubly glad that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking cake. My family loved this recipe and Im sure I will make it again. Great that you were able to make it dairy free to fit your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, cooking all these recipes must be torture if you can't eat most of them! Torture, but probably good for your waistline!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow it looks just as good as you described. I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm... I feel like I'm drowning in Maine blueberries, but this recipe makes me want to go back to the store for more.

    In other news, I'm lactose intolerant too. Solidarity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that you were able to make it dairy free.

    It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I am so impressed with all your changes, especially the apple cider vinegar with soymilk. How clever! That is one of the best ways I have ever read to make your own buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, right on for you! Finally, something you were able to make and enjoy!

    I guess you'll be making it again??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! Glad you have found a good lactose free cake to bake. I don't know what I would do without my dairy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I have just been dreaming of a blueberry crumb coffee cake and this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you my dear!! I cook & bake with lactose free butter & lactose free milk!! But I will try this recipe too!!! Thanks, It looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks delicious. It was an easy cake to make substitutes with - very giving. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh! Your cake looks fabulous. I love that you added graham crackers to the topping. What a fabulous idea!! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great dairy-free adjustments to the recipe! My bro and SIL are both lactose intolerant, so I must try your version for them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cake looks GREAT! Way to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cake looks awesome! That is funny that you also bring them into work, like me. You work in SF? I work in Palo Alto, doing international law. We're neighbors!

    ReplyDelete