Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pumpkin & Coconut Muffins



Since my case settled, I have had a bit of time on my hands - and I have been using a lot of it to catch up on my favorite foodie blogs and bookmark recipes (actually print them out and put in a binder with plastic sheets so I can bring into the kitchen with me and I have a handy book of to try and tried and true recipes).

So, when I came across the Pumpkin and Coconut Bread by Vanilla Sugar - I knew I finally had a purpose for my can of pumpkin that has been waiting since November to get used. My husband and I love muffins. As you can tell by my post here. So I decided to make muffins instead of a loaf so we could have easy to transport breakfast all week (and then some!).

My can of pumpkin was almost 2x what the recipe called for, and since I waited so long to use this can of pumpkin - I was using the whole thing even if it meant doubling everything else and having muffins galore. I also wanted to make a tad bit lighter so I swapped out some of the oil for applesauce.

They were DELICIOUS in my opinion. Loved by my husband and got rave reviews at work. I would highly recommend these. And will try it in loaf form someday just to see (almost nothing makes it into loaf form around here - just muffins and cupcakes!).


Pumpkin & Coconut Muffins
(adapted from Vanilla Sugar)


1 (15 oz can) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree, just plain pumpkin puree)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 ts vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups of white sugar
1 ½ cups flour
½ ts salt
½ ts baking soda
½ ts baking powder
½ ts ground cinnamon
½ ts ground nutmeg
½ ts pumpkin pie spice mix
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup shredded coconut

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Grease and flour muffin tins (I used papers and the muffins really stuck to the papers, so I would recommend greasing and flouring the pans instead)

In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla extract, and sugar.

In another bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice mix. Mix well, then slowly add to the wet ingredients until well combined. Don’t over mix!

Then fold in the pecans and coconut into the batter. Top with a sprinkle of coconut and press into batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into bread comes out clean.



4 comments:

  1. Dawn always comes up with such wonderful combinations! I think making them in a muffin form is such a great idea. It makes it so much easier.. less cleanup..haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious - such great flavors! As a fellow attorney, I'm glad to hear you've got some down time, isn't it nice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous. Light, with the delicious coconut flavor. These are good anytime of day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm!! Thank you so much! They are delicious and stayed moist for days.

    ReplyDelete