Friday, March 20, 2009

LA Sweet Spot: Surfas


So, I just have to share this awesome cooking store called Surfas in Los Angeles. When we were vising my parents in West Covina (essentially LA for you non-LA people), my dad was super excited to take me to this store. So we made the trek (40 min drive give or take) to see his new office building which was near Surfas. An asside - besides being a terrific father and friend, he is an amazing person and works for this great organization called Children's Bureau of Southern California that has child abuse treatment and prevention programs, foster care, etc.



I digress. So, he knew I would love the place, and boy did I. I think we were there for over an hour and they had to drag me out of the store (seriously, they were all waiting in the car when i finally emerged).

I picked up a ton of stuff, chocolate, flavorings, pans, paper goods, cupcake/cookie scoops, etc. But two things I am going to highlight here. First, their big 1 lb canisters of Valrhona Cocoa Powder for only $10.85. This is super high quality cocoa powder and at a great price. I recently ran out of the two containers I bought at Thanksgiving time so I HAD to order more.

Of course, that's not all I could walk away with. Oh no. Maybe it was the birthday spirit (I tend to be really generous with myself during my birthday month - can you say shopaholic [can't wait to see that movie btw]). I also decided that it would be a good idea to stock up on some decorating supplies, because I am starting to get some cupcakes requests and am pimping myself out to people with kids just so I can have more audiences for my baking obsession.



So I picked up all of these pretty sprinkles. These are also really well priced. $3.55-$4.20 for 10-12oz. That's a lot of sprinkles. I got two reds and two greens for my holiday baking at my November in store shopping experience (my parents had to give me another suitcase to take home) and after ALL my holiday baking and I have more than half of each left. So, again, great value.


OK, I'll stop - you probably think I have stock.


7 comments:

  1. So awesome!! I've got to find a good local cooking store because shopping in person is way more fun than ordering online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great! I love sprucing up a cake with decorations like these. I'm so excited that you find my blog because that led me to your blog--and it's totally fabulous! I'm at school in San Francisco right now. I'm a 2L, and I'll be working in San Francisco this summer! What type of law do you practice? It's so nice to get to "meet" someone who does law and baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dad you have! I've told my dad about three-thousand times that I have a cooking blog and I don't think he's ever even looked at it. But he's 74 and afraid of computers..oh well.

    Surfas looks like an amazing place! Their prices *are* really good too. I pay around $3 for a small baggy of sprinkles! And that cocoa powder price, that's insane! As soon as I'm done writing this comment, I'm jumping over to their site. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I wish I could find Valrhona around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so funny! I just spent a week in New York and went to the baking supply store and bought a suitcase full of colored sugar sprinkles to bring back to France (where they are sadly sprinkle-free). Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh..that Valrhona powder...heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I {HEART} Surfas!!! I'm glad you enjoyed shopping there --- it truly is a baker's paradise.

    ReplyDelete