Monday, March 9, 2009

Hubby's Favorite Snickerdoodle Cupcakes



Tonight I made what my husband deemed the best cupcake I have made yet. And I have been baking a lot of cupcakes in the last year. I caught the cupcake buzz about a year ago February, but didn't think I had the time or talent to host a baking blog so, many long lost cupcake adventures which do not appear on my fairly new blog. There is always tomorrow!

I got home early tonight and wanted to make some cupcakes to cheer up my co-workers tomorrow. There was a large round of layoffs at my work, and while no one in my office's litigation group was let go, it was a tough day at work. So I started to think about what kind of cupcakes to make and since I like to try new things, I started thinking about making a snickerdoodle cupcake.

First I gave it an old google try - and came across two snickerdoodle cupcake recipes from two of my favorite cupcake blogs - The Cupcake Project and I Heart Cuppycakes While these two blogs are often the source of my inspiration and recipes, I thought the one from Cupcake Project was too complicated and time consuming (although yummy looking) and the one from I Heart Cuppycakes was too large and was missing the sour element that the cream of tartar in the cookie recipe provides.

So, I looked a little farther and then decided to adapt a recipe from one of my go-to cupcake cookbooks 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson. I started with her French Toast cupcake recipe and made some modifications. For the frosting, I took a basic vanilla buttercream recipe and added 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tbsp meringue powder. Recipes below.

We'll see what the work folks have to say about it tomorrow - but my husband said it was my number 1 cupcake and he couldn't stop moaning while eating it. I sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each cupcake before baking, and that made a nice little crust in between the moist fluffy cake and creamy frosting. So, I'd say it is definately worth a try for snickerdoodle fans.



Snickerdoodle Cupcake

(Makes 12 - Preheat oven to 350 degrees)

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk + 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar - what I used this time)

Topping - Combine:
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract. Alternatively whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar topping mixture on top of cupcakes. Bake in preheated oven for 20 (to 25) minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Frost when completely cool.



Snickerdoodle Frosting

1 stick butter or margarine
3 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp cinnamon

In a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy - about 2-3 minutes. Add sifted powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, meringue powder and cinnamon and beat until combined. Add more powdered sugar or milk to get the desired consistency. Then sprinkle cupcakes with remaining cinnamon/sugar topping. The above recipe will give you pretty fluffy and thick frosting - enough to frost 12 cupcakes liberally.




5 comments:

  1. ooh these look fabulous! We're big snickerdoodle fans in our house and I know my hubby and son would love them. Since you like snickerdoodles, have you seen my snickerdoodle blondies recipe? I bet you'd really like them!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Yours just went into my reader too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great. I love snickerdoodles. A snickerdoodle cupcake sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say - best cupcake ever! And I'm becoming a bit of a connoisseur as Lorelei's dedicated taster. Seriously, these are fluffy and snicker-doodl-ie in the middle, slight crunch on the top, then the best frosting ever. A true treat. If you like the cookies, you'll be blown away by these cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! I love the cookies so I'm sure a cupcake would be just as good, if not better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes! I'm a fan of all things snickerdoodly!! Sounds yummy especially the crunchy crust from the cinnamon sugar! Printing out the recipe to give it a try soon.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete