Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Funfetti Celebration Cupcakes



I made these fun and delicious cupcakes to celebrate the settlement of my big case (that I had been working on for years). Sometimes, just the simple desserts that people are familiar with are just what people are looking for. These did the trick, and actually went a lot quicker than the Mexican chocolate cupcakes (to be forthcoming in another post). Usually, chocolate is the first to go.

I got the idea for these cupcakes browsing on one of my favorite blogs I Heart Cuppycakes by Clara (you see I had A LOT of Google Reader Blog reading to catch up with when I got back from trial - like many hundreds of posts - you were all very busy bakers!). Clara did a post about her Thank You Cupcakes and they included these funfetti cupcakes. I decided to give them a whirl and boost the color a little by making rainbow frosting.

The verdict: people REALLY loved these alot. I made them with margarine and soy milk too (so I could have them because vanilla cake is my favorite!) no one could tell until they saw me eating one. I LOVED them too. Simple and delicious. Thank you Clara!


Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
From Clara of iheartcuppycakes

Makes about 12 cupcakes

For funfetti cupcakes
1-1/4 cups AP flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large egg + 1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk or half-and-half instead
2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles

For vanilla buttercream
2 sticks butter
7 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

To make cupcakes—Preheat oven to 350F.
Line cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, fitted with flat beater, beat the sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating on low.

Then add vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture. Fold in rainbow sprinkles.

Fill cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.

To make buttercream—In a stand mixer, fitted with flat beater, beat butter until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined. Add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want.

To make swirl buttercream
- You will need gel food coloring and a disposable piping bag or Zip Lock Gallon Bag. Using a toothpick, draw a line with one color from the tip of the bag (where the piping tip goes, up the sides of the bag 3/4 way up. Do the same thing with one or more colors. Then gently put vanilla buttercream into the bag and start piping. Garnish with more rainbow sprinkles.







24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the settlement! I can't imagine all the files and paperwork for a case that has lasted years.

    Anyway, your cupcake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on settling the case! The cupcakes look wonderful - they definitely make me want to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcakes look delicious!!! I am always in the mood for a good cupcake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swirl frosting - really adds to the cupcake. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for looking at my blog. I just joined in meet up for the Iron Cupcake Challenge of San Francisco - did you know about it? Its soo cool. There is a meet-up on Monday March 30!! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I just found your blog and I'm adding you to my Google reader. I'm addicted to baking as well, except I'm an engineer by day. I'm also lactose intolerant. While I do rely on my Hubby for a taste tester as well, although I do often adjust baked goods to be dairy free or even taste them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cupcakes look delish! Love what you did with the frosting. Way to make adjust ingredients for your tastes. Glad you enjoyed the recipe!
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the settlement!! How exciting! Cupcakes are totally the perfect way to celebrate. These look delicious--and I love the swirls you did in the buttercream. And I'm also super glad that you removed the dairy from these--you have to treat yourself every now and then!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog through another blog because I liked your name! And I was really happy to see these bright colourful cupcakes! I love the multiple colours of the frosting! I really enjoyed my visit, and will come by again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on settling your case! These cupcakes are sooo cute and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute! what a way to celebrate, and congratulations! these brings the inner child out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPERAWESOME! Where do you get the time, woman, to bake and litigate?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so pretty, andso much fun!! How adorable! Nic to meet you, I think this may be my first time on your blog. I am enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome tie-dye cupcakes. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That frosting looks so fun! My kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your frosting is outstanding--i've never seen anything like it! and to think, all you need is some coloring and a simple ziplock bag. bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the way you decorated these :)
    The icing looks heavenly :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your latest cupcakes look delicious. Yum. I re-wrapped the ones we took home,(fancy with cellophane sand bows) and gave out the brownies to select people at my beauty shop. I also did the same for the apple cakes because I was afraid if I ate any more sweets all the weight i had lost would come back double!
    The clients and staff loved them and are begging me for more.
    Your sister, Pam has promised to bake cupcakes today.
    I am still hoping you can find a good tasting, low sugar cookie for me and my friend, Rose who is a diabetic.
    Thank you for your hospitality and keeping us fed. We all appreciate it,
    Hope the cupcakes for the chil birthday party turnout well.
    Love, your mother

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, just stumbled across your blog & love your passion for CUPCAKES!!! I have added myself to your follower list.
    Feel free to pop into my world, it's only new at the moment.

    ReplyDelete