Saturday, March 21, 2009

Baked Brownie

So I just got the cookbook Baked from my good friend Jaci. So, of course I had to make the infamous, Oprah loving Baked Brownie right out of the box. It definately was a different recipe - 5 EGGS!!! - and new mixing method. But I was game. My husband was going to see his grandma today, and she used to be the baker of the family, so I usually bake when he goes. This is what I chose.

The verdict? People seemed to really like it - but it definately wasn't the OH MY GOSH BEST BROWNIE EVER - reaction that I thought it might get given its accolates. Granted, there may have been user error. Although I don't think that I over cooked it, so .... But I am also way overly self-critical, and can't taste most of my creations, so maybe they really did like them - alot. I just got the Sweet Mellisa baking book and I told them I would ask for their side by side comparison soon.



The Baked Brownie from Baked
1 1/4 Cups AP Flour
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 72% cacao), coarsely chopped
1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp instant expresso powder
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder powder together.
Put the chocolate, butter, and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted amd smooth. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cakey.
Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Let the brownies cool completely, then cut them into squares and serve.
Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. I wasn't crazy about these either, so I'm sure it wasn't user error. Yours came out much better than mine did - so perhaps I'm the one that did something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these this week too - thought they were great, not life changing, but then is any brownie? I did get "best brownie ever" comments from some who tried them, but my husband said "really good, not the best ever." Still, worth trying. I love this cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Lorelei!! I think these brownies look delicious (but I totally understand your self-critical assessment of them). I was in agreement when I made these; I thought the brownies were really good, just not the BEST EVER. That said, I love that Baked book! I need to invest in Sweet Melissa; I've heard so many bloggers talk about it. I can't wait to respond to your email!! I'm so excited we "found" each other. Just a bit more Con Law reading, and then it'll be time for an email break (yes, I realize the irony that I'm taking a break to write on your blog right now. I need a lot of breaks, you see.). Hope your Saturday is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These may not have been the best brownies ever, but they sure do look incredibly delicious!! I do love the cookbook, full of so many yummy sweet things!

    ReplyDelete