Sunday, March 8, 2009

Amazing Lemon Apricot Cupcakes



Before my work induced hiatus from baking and blogging, I made some DELICIOUS lactose free lemon apricot cupcakes. They were to die for! I want to make them again - but am on a diet because we are going to Mexico for Memorial Day weekend!!!!! 5 whole nights at the Valentin Imperial Riveria Maya Resort. I can hardly wait and do a happy dance at least once a day. So, this is the motivation to get into bathing suit shape and stay away from lactose free desserts.


These cupcakes received RAVE reviews at work. They were enjoyed by the many folks working over the weekend! They were very moist, very very lemony, and not too sweet.

The recipe was mostly from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes by Julie Hasson - a great cupcake book -with some of my twists. I wanted to use some of the dried apricots that my parents sent me and wanted to give a little kick to a basic lemon recipe. So I heated up some rum in a small pan until it was simmering, then I stuck in the dried apricots and removed it from the fire and let them steep for 10 minutes. Then I drained them on some paper towels and chopped them up. They were yummy just like that!


Lemon Apricot Yogurt Cupcakes
(makes 12 cupcakes)

1 1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter or Nucoa margarine (what I used), melted and cooled
1 egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt (or other fruit inspired - I used apricot mango)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon oil or lemon extract
1 cup chooped dried apricots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and egg until smooth. Add yogurt, lemon zest, juice and lemon oil/extract. Add flour mixture and beat just until smooth.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting.

Lemon Frosting - From Good Things Catered. I had made this a while back when I made the Luscious Lemon Party Cake and so I used the left over frosting I stored in the fridge. I let it come to room temp and then re-fluffed it with my kitchenaid.

4 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp meringue powder
tiny pinch of salt
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 extra large lemon, juiced

In the bowl of stand mixer, combine shortening, butter, and extract and lemon juice, stirring on low until relatively combined. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, meringue powder and salt, then add to mixer while still on. Stir, scraping down sides of bowl, until thoroughly combined, adding more lemon juice as needed. (Add water if needed to reach desired texture.)



2 comments:

  1. Hey There, my husband and I went to the Valentine last July and LOVED it. Hope you have a terrific time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have chopped apricots un the recipe ingred. but i dont see where you add them in the recipe??
    Did i miss something

    ReplyDelete