Tuesday, January 13, 2009

TWD: Savory Pepper Corn Muffins

Despite it all (I am having surgery tomorrow for my recently discovered partially detached retina, and had a lot to do before not being able to read/type, etc. for a while), I made it just in the nick of time with this post. And I am glad I did, these muffins were TERRIFIC. Yum Yum Yum. Thank you Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake for picking this recipe.





I saw that many other TWD'ers didn't like them or skipped them because they are cornbread purists. I respect that, but these were right up my husband and my alley - we love spicy food, the spicier the better. In fact, I have a Costco size bottle of Tabasco on my desk at work, and bring it to lunch meetings - I am serious. So these were perfect.




I also made them dairy free buy substituting soy milk for the milk (and adding 1 tsp of cider vinegar to the soy milk) and Nucoa margarine for the butter. My dairy eating husband loved them dairy free just the same. Thanks Dorie. Check out the other TWD posts here.







7 comments:

  1. Good job with the soy milk replacement!
    I believe I found my coarse cornmeal at Trader Joe's but I could be mistaken. It's the Bob's Red Mill brand and I am sure you could find it at a Natural Foods Store as well.
    Your Turkish Lentil Soups sounds yummy too...are you posting the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your surgery went well and that you are resting comfortably!

    Your muffins look fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the surgery...welcome to TWD. your muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny about your Tabasco! :o) Glad everyone had a chance to enjoy them. Great job! And WELCOME to TWD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great substitute with the soy milk! I've cut out dairy from my diet as well (not for any reason other than soy/almond/rice milk is easier for the body to process) and I wish I had thought of subbing it in for the milk! Your muffins look fantastic! And good luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that your surgery went well.
    My boyfriend, who puts Tabasco (and red pepper flakes) on EVERYTHING loved these muffins. I think that they're just right for people who like an extra kick. I don't put Tabasco on anything but I still loved them too. That means that they're great, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow great job. I love that they are dairy free good idea! I hope surgery went well and you are healing up fast.

    ReplyDelete